Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 5 hours, 29 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Italy threatens to cut UN funds over migrants issue
September 12, 2018
 Print    Send to Friend

ROME: Italy sharply criticised new UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet on Tuesday after she announced she would send investigators to the country to check reports of racism and violence against migrants.

Hours after Bachelet made her inaugural speech in Geneva on Monday, Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, who heads the anti-immigrant League party, threatened to cut Italian funding for the United Nations.

Salvini, who in the past has threatened to cut off Rome’s contributions to the EU budget, said on Monday night that Italy and other European countries should consider cutting funding to the UN, saying it should not try to “teach Italians lessons.”

On Tuesday, the foreign ministry issued a long statement describing Bachelet’s accusations as “inappropriate, unfounded, unjust.”

Bachelet criticised the government, which is made up of the League and the populist 5-Star Movement, for refusing entry to migrant rescue ships in the Mediterranean operated by private charities.

“This kind of political posturing and other recent developments have devastating consequences for many already vulnerable people,” said Bachelet, a former Chilean president.

Salvini, who is also deputy prime minister, has insisted that ships run by non-government organisations should not be allowed to dock in Italian ports. Migrants aboard Italian military ships should not disembark either unless other European Union countries agree to take some in, he has said.

But what riled Salvini and the foreign ministry most was Bachelet’s announcement that she would “send staff to Italy, to assess the reported sharp increase in acts of violence and racism against migrants, persons of African descent and Roma”.

Last March, African immigrants and Italians protested in Florence and criticised the League, accusing the party of stoking racial tensions after an Italian man shot dead a Senegalese street vendor.

A month earlier, a man with neo-Nazi sympathies and ties to the League opened fire on African migrants in the city of Macerata, wounding six before he was captured.

Human rights spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani told reporters in Geneva on Tuesday that it was “not unusual at all” to send teams to countries and that one had already visited Italy in 2016.

Reuters
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Italian minister faces probe over migrants’ treatment
ROME: Italy’s far-right Interior Minister Matteo Salvini on Friday launched a blistering attack on prosecutors in Sicily after they confirmed a probe into his refusal to ..
Italy demands EU open ports to migrant ships
VIENNA: Italy demanded on Thursday the EU find other ports to disembark migrants rescued in the Mediterranean, suggesting it would withhold support for the EU naval missi..
Italy to ask EU to rotate ports for migrant arrivals
ROME: Rome will on Thursday ask the European Union to rotate the ports where migrants rescued at sea disembark, with France and Spain top of the list, a defence ministry ..
Italy allows in migrants after reaching deal
ROME: Nearly 140 migrants who had been stranded on a boat at a port in Sicily were allowed to disembark early on Sunday after Ireland and Albania agreed to take some of t..
Italy allows some migrants off stranded boat amid EU row
ROME: Italy allowed 16 of the 150 migrants stranded on board a coastguard ship at a Sicily port to disembark on Saturday, as government officials face questioning over th..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright