Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 6 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Scarponi faces three-month ban for Ferrari visits: CONI
November 22, 2012
 Print    Send to Friend

TURIN: Former Tour of Italy winner Michele Scarponi is facing a three-month ban, the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) said on Tuesday, for infringing rules on consulting prohibited persons.

Scarponi is one of many athletes alleged to have consulted with Michele Ferrari, the doctor at the centre of the Lance Armstrong doping scandal.

Ferrari is one of several individuals being investigated by prosecutors in Padua. He is accused of being at the centre of a sophisticated doping network involving athletes, sports agents and corrupt banking officials.

CONI confirmed in a statement on Tuesday that Scarponi, who rides for the Lampre team, as well as fellow Italian professional Giovanni Visconti of the Movistar team “faced three month bans for consulting with prohibited persons”.

Scarponi was handed the 2011 Tour of Italy title following the disqualification of Spaniard Alberto Contador.

The statement added that Scarponi had already been “suspended by his team after admitting in a CONI hearing on Nov.6 that he had met with Ferrari a couple of times”.

Former Milan-San Remo champion Filippo Pozzato was also handed a similar ban earlier this year which deprived him of a place at the Olympic Games, then the world championships.

CONI added that three-time Italian champion Visconti, meanwhile, has “always denied having met with prohibited persons”.

Scarponi claims that he only met with Ferrari for two tests at the end of the 2010 season and ceased the collaboration immediately afterwards on signing for Lampre.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Franklin hit by back spasms ahead of Pan Pacific C’ships
BRISBANE: Preparations by multiple Olympic and world champion Missy Franklin for this week’s Pan Pacific Championships have been hit by back trouble but she was on the me..
Dubai plans to bid for Olympics: DSC official
DUBAI: Dubai has plans to expand its existing sports facilities across the emirate and eyes submitting a bid to host the Olympic Games. Ali Omar, the director of Dubai..
Indian teams suffer defeat at chess Olympiad
Chennai: India suffered serious reverse Tuesday in the 41st World Chess Olympiad now underway in Norway with both the teams - open and women - losing to Cuba and Serbia r..
Mavericks owner Cuban slams IOC over George injury, says report
DALLAS: Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban blasted the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in the wake of NBA star Paul George suffering a broken right leg playing for t..
North Korea threatens to boycott Asian Games
PYONGYANG: North Korea on Friday threatened to pull out of September’s Asian Games in South Korea, blaming Seoul for the breakdown of talks on Pyongyang’s participation. ..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright