Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 36 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Djokovic storms into final
January 25, 2013
 Print    Send to Friend

MELBOURNE: Defending champion Novak Djokovic crushed David Ferrer to reach the Australian Open final on Thursday as Victoria Azarenka ignited a timeout row in setting up a women’s title match with China’s Li Na.

Djokovic, the world number one, floored Ferrer 6-2, 6-2, 6-1 in an embarrassingly one-sided contest which he rated as one of the best performances of his career.

“I just played incredible,” said the 25-year-old Serb, who will play either Roger Federer or Andy Murray in Sunday’s final.

“I don’t expect always to play this well but I was free in my mind tonight and I hope I can continue like this into the final.” He added: “Today was my best performance, it came at the right moment and I hope I can play the same on Sunday.”

Djokovic was taken to five sets by a gritty Stanislas Wawrinka in the fourth round and he went four with Tomas Berdych in the quarter-finals, and the tireless Ferrer was expected to pose another test in the semi-final.

But the ultra-fit Serb played almost flawless tennis, hitting 30 winners with just 16 unforced errors, and will be the strong favourite to complete the first Australian Open title hat-trick since the 1960s.

“I played incredible tennis and I felt very comfortable and very confident from the start,” Djokovic said. “I wanted to be aggressive on the court but this is definitely one of the best performances I’ve ever had in my career.”

The victory brought attention back to on-court action after Azarenka, last year’s women’s champion, found herself at the centre of a storm over a poorly-timed medical break in her semi-final with American teenager Sloane Stephens.

The increasingly flummoxed world number one had just lost five match points when she called for the trainer and went off the court for 10 minutes, with Stephens, 19, sitting in her courtside chair waiting to serve to stay in the match.

When Azarenka returned she broke Stephens to win 6-1, 6-4, and said she had avoided the “choke of the year” and felt “overwhelmed” before her break, suggesting she had needed to gather her thoughts rather than treat an injury.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Britain’s Robson to miss Wimbledon, French Open
LONDON: British women’s number one Laura Robson will miss the French Open and Wimbledon after having surgery on her wrist, the 20-year-old announced on Thursday. Robso..
Eight-time champ Nadal knocked out of Monte Carlo
Monaco: David Ferrer produced a major upset at the Monte Carlo Masters as the persistent Spaniard stunned eight-time champion Rafael Nadal 7-6 (7/1), 6-4 in the quarter-f..
Nadal passes clay landmark with 300th win to advance in Monte Carlo Masters
Monaco: Top seed Rafael Nadal finished with a clean ace on match point to seal his 300th career victory on clay and advance into the quarter-finals of the Monte Carlo Mas..
Top seed Nadal and Federer rush to quick victories in Monte Carlo
Monaco: Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer rushed into the third round at the Monte Carlo Masters on Wednesday, with both posting quick opening victories. Top seed Nadal, ..
Djokovic storms into 3rd round of Monte Carlo Masters
MONTE CARLO: Novak Djokovic stormed into the third round of the Monte Carlo Masters as the defending champion won his 11th straight match of the season 6-1, 6-0 over Albe..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright