Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 8 hours, 55 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Telecom Italia rejects $3.9 billion investment offer
December 10, 2012
 Print    Send to Friend

MILAN: Telecom Italia has rejected a 3 billion euro ($3.9 billion) investment offer from Egyptian tycoon Naguib Sawiris and will take more time to consider the possible sale of a stake in its copper network.

The heavily indebted company said in a statement that its board had decided “not to proceed further” with regards to an expression of interest from Sawiris, who had proposed to invest capital to engineer a strategic turnaround.

After an eight-hour meeting of the group’s board, it asked management to further investigate a possible sale of a stake in its copper network to state fund Cassa Depositi e Prestiti (CDP).

The biggest obstacle to an agreement with the CDP appears to be the valuation of the network and the governance of the new company to be set up to manage the infrastructure, people familiar with the situation have said.

The company also said it wanted to continue negotiations with the two bidders for its loss-making television unit Telecom Italia Media to extract a better price.

In its statement, Telecom Italia did not mention any decision about a possible expansion in Brazil, a major source of growth in recent years. The company had looked at a possible purchase of Vivendi’s broadband unit GVT.

Sawiris was prepared to pay market prices - or around 0.70 euros per share - as part of a capital increase to help Telecom Italia pay down debt and bid for GVT. Telecom Italia’s top investors value their stakes on their books at 1.50 euros per share after several writedowns.

Shares in Telecom Italia fell 1.74 per cent to 0.7065 euros on Thursday before the announcement, underperforming a lower market, giving the company a market capitalisation of about 13.5 billion euros.

The stock has slumped 70 per cent since Spanish competitor Telefonica and Italian financial groups Mediobanca, Intesa Sanpaolo and Generali together bought a controlling 22.4 per cent stake in Telecom Italia in the spring of 2007.

After months of contacts between Telecom Italia and CDP, the board’s decision the fixed-line network, possibly worth up to 15 billion euros, marks the start of formal negotiations for a possible stake sale.

Reuters

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Inditex to accelerate investment in 2014
MADRID: Inditex, the world’s biggest fashion retailer, will accelerate investment in 2014 to open more new stores after results last year were hit by falling currencies o..
Monte Paschi posts 2013 net loss of $2 billion
MILAN: Troubled Italian lender Monte dei Paschi di Siena has posted a higher than expected 2013 loss of 1.44 billion euros ($2 billion) as it was forced to set aside more..
Monte Paschi’s chairman and CEO to stay on
SIENA/MILAN: Monte dei Paschi di Siena’s (Monte Paschi) chairman and CEO will stay on in their jobs even though they were forced to delay a vital $4 billion share sale pl..
Italy’s one-year debt costs inch up
MILAN: Italy’s one-year borrowing costs inched higher at an auction on Wednesday from the record low they hit a month ago, as banks step up repayment of longer-term Europ..
Alitalia faces bankruptcy
ROME: Loss-making Italian airline Alitalia risks having to file for bankruptcy if it fails to agree a deal for a capital increase in the next couple of weeks, a governmen..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright