Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Syria troops, allies retake most of Albu Kamal
November 19, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

BEIRUT: Syrian troops and allied fighters advanced on Saturday to capture most of Albu Kamal, a monitor said, in a tug-of-war over the Daesh militant group’s last urban stronghold in the country.

The town in Syria’s oil-rich Deir Al Zor province has changed hands several times, with government troops announcing its capture but losing it to a blistering Daesh counter-attack a week ago.

Syria’s army and Lebanese, Iranian and Iraqi loyalists re-entered Albu Kamal two days ago and by Saturday had taken most of it from Daesh, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

“Syrian regime forces, (Lebanese) Hizbollah, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, and Iraqi militias seized control on Saturday of more than 80 per cent of Albu Kamal, after a huge attack that began Friday night,” said Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman.

“Daesh was pushed back to the northern and northeastern sectors of the city. Clashes are ongoing,” Abdel Rahman said.

The Britain-based monitor said the fresh push came with heavy bombing raids by regime ally Russia, and that troops were advancing more “carefully” than in their previous assault to ensure their gains would not be rolled back.

On Saturday, Syrian state television aired live footage from Albu Kamal, showing plumes of smoke rising over the city’s skyline as explosions echoed in the background.

It said the army was preparing to “storm the remaining areas” held by Daesh in Albu Kamal’s east.

“What has most impeded the Syrian army’s advance is the large amounts of mines left by Daesh and its attempt at using families as human shields,” state television reported.

On Friday, a car bombing blamed on the Daesh militants killed at least 26 displaced people in eastern Syria, the Syrian Observatory said.

The Observatory said 12 children were among the victims of the attack on a gathering at a checkpoint run by US-backed fighters in Deir Al Zor province.

“Dozens of people were wounded, and the death toll could rise because of the number of serious injuries,” said Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman.

The displaced people had been on their way to neighbouring Hasakeh province, where camps have been set up to house them in Kurdish-controlled territory, Abdel Rahman said.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Air strikes kill 12 civilians in eastern Syria
BEIRUT: Air strikes on one of the last villages still held by the Daesh group in eastern Syria killed 12 civilians, including four children, a monitor said on Monday. ..
Daesh has lost 95% of territory: US coalition
AMMAN: The Daesh militant group has lost 95 per cent of the cross-border territory it declared three years ago in Iraq and Syria, the US-led coalition fighting it has sai..
Daesh retakes most of Albu Kamal: Monitor
BEIRUT: The Daesh militant group have recaptured nearly all of Albu Kamal, putting up a fierce fightback for what had been the last significant Syrian town under their co..
Syria declares victory over Daesh
BEIRUT: Syria’s army declared victory over Daesh on Thursday, saying its capture of the militants’ last town in the country marked the collapse of their project in the re..
Syria starts assault on Daesh stronghold
BEIRUT: Syria’s army and its allies began an asssault on the largest remaining stronghold of Daesh in Syria and Iraq on Wednesday, Hizbollah-controlled media said, signal..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright