Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 33 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Turkey captures bombing suspect in Syria
September 13, 2018
 Print    Send to Friend

ISTANBUL: The Turkish secret service staged an operation deep in the heartland of the Syrian regime of President Bashar Al Assad to capture and bring back to Turkey the prime suspect in a 2013 bombing, officials said on Wednesday.

Turkish citizen Yusuf Nazik, who is accused of planning the May 2013 Reyhanli bombing, was apprehended in an operation carried out by the National Intelligence Organisation (MIT).

He was captured in the Syrian city of Latakia -- a stronghold of support for Assad that has never slipped from his control -- and then brought to Turkey, the Anadolu news agency said.

Over 50 people were killed in the bombing -- one of the deadliest in Turkey’s modern history -- in Reyhanli, on the border with Syria in the southern Turkish province of Hatay.

Ankara at the time blamed the attack on the regime of Assad and allied groups. The Syrian government rejected the charges.

Anadolu also published a video of Nazik, dressed in a tracksuit top and jeans and standing by a Turkish flag, giving what it described as a “confession,” saying he was behind the attack and it had been ordered by the Syrian regime.

He said a man “working for Syrian intelligence” had given the order for the bombing and called on others in Syria to “return before it is too late,” saying Turkey will “look after us.”

Nazik, 34, from the Turkish southern city of Antakya, said he had been responsible for making contact with Syrian intelligence, bringing the explosives inside Turkey and obtaining the vehicles used.

A senior Turkish official, who asked not to be named, confirmed Anadolu’s report and said the testimony of Nazik “confirmed long-standing rumours about the Assad regime’s active role in the bombing.”

That the operation to capture Nazik took place in Latakia is significant as the city has been a regime stronghold throughout the civil war and not an area where Turkey would usually have any influence.

There were no further details on whether the operation had been carried out with or without the knowledge of the Syrian authorities or Russian forces who are present in the area.

But Anadolu said no logistical or intelligence support had come from “any foreign state” and the “detection, monitoring, operation and transfer” had been carried out entirely by MIT units.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Turkey bolsters military presence in Syria: Reports
ISTANBUL: Turkey’s military has sent its most significant batch of reinforcements to the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib in weeks, reports said on Monday, as Ankara..
Turkey will bring peace to Syria and Iraq: Erdogan
ANKARA: Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan vowed on Sunday to bring peace and safety to Iraq and areas in Syria not under Turkish control and said terrorist organisations i..
US warns against further Turkish incursions in Syria
BAGHDAD: Turkey could find itself in a quagmire if it deepens its involvement in Syria’s multi-sided civil war, a US senator said on Wednesday after meeting President Tay..
Turkey, Iran vow to continue Russia alliance on Syria
ANKARA: The presidents of Turkey and Iran on Tuesday vowed to press on with their alliance alongside Russia over Syria, the Turkish presidency said, after Ankara backed s..
Controversy over Turkish celebrities’ Syria trip
ISTANBUL: Top Turkish celebrities have hit back at bitter criticism from the country’s opposition leader as a controversy intensified on Thursday over a border visit by t..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright