Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 36 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Cholera may impact 850,000 in Yemen this year: Red Cross
September 14, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

GENEVA: The cholera epidemic tearing through Yemen, exacerbating the already dire humanitarian situation in the war-ravaged country, could impact 850,000 people by the end of the year, the Red Cross warned Wednesday.

The outbreak “has reached colossal proportions,” said Robert Mardini, the International Committee of the Red Cross’s (ICRC) Near and Middle East director.

The speed at which cholera is spreading in Yemen has slowed some in recent months, but the deadly waterborne disease is far from contained.

“In July we said we feared it would reach 600,000 cases by the end of the year. Now we have reached 647,000 suspected cases already,” Mardini said.

“We are now projecting in the worst-case scenario to reach 850,000 by the end of the year,” he said, stressing that “it is not under control. It is not contained.”

The World Health Organisation (WHO) said earlier this week that 2,065 people had so far perished from the disease.

“The pace was slowing down a bit, but over the past week it went up again,” Mardini said, pointing out that there are still around 4,700 suspected cases being registered in the country every day.

The numbers are all the more tragic in light of the fact that cholera is usually an easily preventable disease.

“It is the worst health crisis for a preventable disease in modern times,” Mardini told a conference on the sidelines of the UN Human Rights Council.

WHO has warned that the disease has spread rapidly due to deteriorating hygiene and sanitation conditions, with millions of people cut off from clean water across the country.

Less than half of health facilities in the country are functioning, many health workers have not received salaries for nearly a year, and less than 30 per cent of the medicines needed in Yemen are reaching the country, Mardini said.

More than 8,400 people, including civilians and combattants, are believed to have died in Yemen’s civil war, according to UN estimates.

On Tuesday, data from the WHO and Yemen’s health ministry showed, the Cholera outbreak has infected 612,703 people since it began in April, and some districts are still reporting sharp rises in new cases.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
MSF closing most cholera centres in Yemen
GENEVA: The medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) is closing most of its 37 cholera treatment centres in Yemen, saying the epidemic appears t..
WHO plans war on cholera; 700,000 cases in Yemen
GENEVA: The World Health Organisation (WHO) will next month launch a strategy to stop cholera transmission by 2030, it said on Monday, as an unprecedented outbreak in Yem..
Yemen’s cholera outbreak has hit 600,000: WHO
GENEVA: Yemen’s cholera outbreak has infected 612,703 people and killed 2,048 since it began in April, and some districts are still reporting sharp rises in new cases, da..
Over 1m children in Yemen at risk of cholera, says charity
LONDON: More than one million malnourished children aged under five in Yemen are living in areas with high levels of cholera, the charity Save The Children warned on Wedn..
Yemen cholera epidemic slowing, shows WHO data
GENEVA: Yemen’s cholera outbreak is set to hit 400,000 cases on Tuesday but there are signs the three-month-old epidemic is slowing, according to World Health Organisatio..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright