Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 3 hours, 50 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Tribes retreat as Daesh detains Fallujah residents
February 22, 2016
 Print    Send to Friend

BAGHDAD: Clashes between Iraqi tribesmen and the Daesh group in Fallujah have halted after the militants detained dozens of residents of the city west of Baghdad, officials said on Sunday.

The fighting between the Sunni Arab tribesmen and Daesh in Fallujah, one of two cities it still holds in Iraq, challenges the militants’ ability to maintain control.

But officials said tribesmen were running short of supplies on Saturday, and Daesh, which is known for its extreme violence, has already executed a large number of opponents elsewhere in Anbar province.

Tribesmen in three areas of Fallujah “withdrew from the clashes (with Daesh), fearing for the fate of the detainees,” an army lieutenant colonel said on condition of anonymity.

“The clashes stopped because of the imbalance of power and fear that the detainees would be executed,” said Issa Sayir who was appointed by the Anbar governor to administer the Fallujah area.

Sayir said Daesh was likely to execute Fallujah residents for their alleged “cooperation with the security forces.”

Raja Barakat, a member of the provincial council in Anbar, where Fallujah is located, said: “We now fear that the (Daesh) organisation will carry out a massacre in the city.”

Sayir estimated the number of detainees at around 60, while the lieutenant colonel said the figure was over 110 and a tribal leader said more than 100.

Sheikh Majeed Al Juraisi, a leader in one of the tribes fighting the jihadists in Fallujah, said IS had seized the residents over the previous two days.

“We hold the prime minister responsible for any massacre carried out against the people of Fallujah,” Barakat said, calling for the launch of a military operation to retake the city.

Both Sayir and the army officer said a military operation would be launched in the Fallujah area in coming days, but it may come too late for the detainees in the city.

Officials said the clashes began Friday as a fight between tribesmen and Al Hisba.

The fighting escalated into gunbattles involving members of several tribes.

Daesh launched a sweeping offensive that overran swathes of Iraq in June 2014, but security forces and allied fighters have pushed the militants back with US-led air support.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Yazidi boys flee Daesh combat training
QADIYA: When nine-year-old Murad got the chance to flee from Daesh — the group that repeatedly raped his mother and slaughtered or enslaved thousands from his Yazidi mino..
Iraq identifies 6 bodies from mass graves
BAGHDAD: Six bodies have been identified so far from two mass graves unearthed this week in the western city of Ramadi, nearly four months after Iraqi forces routed Daesh..
Displaced families return to Ramadi after Daesh exit
RAMADI: Thousands of Iraqis have returned to the western city of Ramadi three months after Iraqi troops backed by US-led airstrikes drove the Daesh group out of the provi..
Strike destroys former Turkish consulate in Mosul
WASHINGTON: The US-led coalition fighting Daesh group in Iraq and Syria conducted an air strike in the Iraqi city of Mosul that destroyed the former Turkish consulate, an..
Iraq puts Daesh offensive on hold
BAGHDAD: An Iraqi army offensive touted as the first phase of a campaign to recapture the northern city of Mosul from Daesh has been paused until more forces arrive to ho..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright