Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 13 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Houthis confiscate medicines in Taiz hospital
April 25, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

TAIZ: Houthi-Saleh militias have confiscated medication and renal dialysis equipment from the Al Thawra Hospital in the Taiz governorate in Yemen, a criminal act that threatens the lives of hundreds of local patients with kidney failure.

“The pro-coup militias have confiscated about 1,800 bottles of dialysis solution, 10,200 packages of sodium bicarbonate and 200 filters used to disinfect dialysis machines,” the Yemen News Agency, SABA, reported.

SABA’s statement stressed that the continuation of such irresponsible acts will lead to a health disaster and disruption at the renal dialysis centre in the hospital, and could result in the deaths of hundreds of patients with chronic kidney failure while accusing the militia of confiscating the supplies.

The statement called on international organisations and human rights groups to exert more pressure on the pro-coup militias to return these supplies.

ARAB COALITION

The Arab Coalition to Support Legitimacy in Yemen last night carried out heavy raids on weapon storage facilities and Houthi and Saleh militia, in several locations west of the Taiz Governorate.

The official Yemeni news agency quoted a military source as saying that the raids targeted militia movements in various areas, including the Mocha District west of Taiz.

The source added that the raids resulted in the destruction of many military vehicles and weapons stores, heavy human loss and loss of equipment.

Meanwhile, residents and a local official said that three Yemeni civilians were killed when a drone attacked four suspected Al Qaeda militants travelling in a vehicle in the southern part of the country.

Residents said the attack in Al Saeed area of Shabwa province on Sunday afternoon was by a United States drone, part of a campaign by President Donald Trump’s administration against Yemen’s Al Qaeda branch.

They said Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) was known to operate in the area and had been targeted by US forces in recent months.

The vehicle was completely destroyed in the drone strike, which also hit three civilians who happened to be passing nearby, the residents and local officials said.

AQAP has exploited two years of civil war to recruit followers and cement its dominance in the central and southern part of Yemen, where a Saudi-led coalition has been fighting the Houthis to try to restore President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to power.

The Houthis seized much of northern Yemen including Sanaa in a series of lightning military operations that began in 2014, eventually forcing Hadi to flee. The Houthis regard their move on Sanaa as a revolution against corruption.

The United States has repeatedly attacked AQAP with aircraft and unmanned drones in what US officials say is a campaign to degrade the group’s ability to co-ordinate attacks abroad.

The new US administration has not yet laid out a clear policy on drone strikes, but Trump has said he would support an escalation of the fight against militant groups.

US drone strikes have become more frequent in recent weeks, with at least six reported by Reuters last month.

In late January, at least 30 people were killed in a US commando dawn raid in southern Yemen, including at least 10 women and children, in the first such military operation authorised by Trump.

The previous administration regularly used drones to attack Daesh, Al Qaeda and other militant groups in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan. Human rights groups criticise the tactic because of civilian casualties.

WAM/Reuters
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Houthis bomb civilian house in Hodeidah
HODEIDAH: One woman was killed and two of her kids seriously injured as the Iran-backed Houthi militias have bombed a house in Al Sab’a Al Olya village, south of Heis dis..
Coalition planes pound Houthi targets
ADEN: Saudi-led forces launched overnight air strikes on Yemen’s capital, described by one resident on Sunday as the worst in a year, as the United Nations struggles to i..
Land mines, planted by Houthis, pose grave threat to Yemeni civilians
ADEN: They lurk under shifting desert sands, amid the debris of urban roadsides and inside abandoned schools, some set to go off at the lightest touch. Land mines scat..
Houthi militias use mosques to make mines, says Yemeni Resistance
HODEIDAH: The Yemeni Resistance has said that its engineering teams have found a mine-making factory belonging to the Iran-backed Houthi militia inside a mosque in the we..
Yemen ready to hold talks with Houthis
ADEN: Yemen’s government said on Thursday it was ready to restart peace talks with Houthi rebels. The United Nations said a day earlier it aimed to relaunch the talks ..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright