Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 1 minute ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Iran media links Australia siege to ISIS
December 17, 2014
 Print    Send to Friend

TEHRAN: Iran’s media reacted on Tuesday to the deadly hostage siege in Sydney by pointing the finger of blame at the West and linking the Iranian-born gunman to Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants.

The story was given front-page treatment in several newspapers, but the coverage contained unsubstantiated opinions as well as reports about the incident in which a self-styled cleric and two hostages died.

“Daesh reached Australia,” said Khorasan, a conservative daily, using the Arabic acronym for the ISIS.

The headline in Mardom Salari, a reformist title, read: “Daesh suspect killed by police.” Australian officials have said the gunman, Man Haron Monis, who had been in the country for almost two decades, “had a long history of violent crime, infatuation with extremism and mental instability.”

However Monis’s former lawyer said the hostage taking was not the work of an organised terrorist group such as ISIS, and officials gave no indication that the gunman had not acted alone.

Monis converted from Shiism, Iran’s official religion, to Sunni Islam, according to a post on his website.

In its only official comment on the deadly siege, Iran’s government on Monday strongly condemned the 50-year-old gunman’s actions.

“Undertaking such inhuman acts and provoking fear and panic in the name of merciful Islam is not in any way justifiable,” foreign ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham said.

However, Siasat-e-Rooz, a hardline conservative outlet, said on Tuesday that “Australia’s co-operation with the United States and Britain in warmongering had paved the way” for such an incident.

The newspaper also accused Iran’s arch-foe Israel of involvement, raising “the probability of the Zionist role in this event.”

“The Zionist record shows that when they are faced with a global trial, they create a security crisis,” said its report.

Vatan-e-Emrooz, another hardline newspaper, said Western intelligence agencies were culpable, and linked the siege to the ongoing battles against ISIS.

“One of the main gaffes of Australia’s security service, which is under the influence of the CIA and MI6, was to provide the Daesh black flag for this terrorist, as he mistakenly had carried the Saudi Arabia flag and put it up in front of the cameras,” the newspaper said.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Telegram will be ‘unblocked if terror content removed’
TEHRAN: Iran’s telecoms minister said on Wednesday that Telegram would only be unblocked if it removed “terrorist” content after the social media app was shut down during..
Iran media mourns female mathematician
TEHRAN: Iranian media have hailed trailblazing Iran-born mathematician Maryam Mirzakhani following her death from cancer, with her image blazoned across newspaper front p..
Iran editor says Khatami media ban unconstitutional
TEHRAN: An Iranian newspaper editor who defied a national reporting ban on former president Mohammad Khatami hit back at threats of prosecution on Wednesday, saying that ..
Quds Force chief shown in Iraq battlefield photo
TEHRAN: Iranian television published a rare picture on Monday of its elite Quds Force chief in Iraq that was widely circulated online. The image of Major General Qasse..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright