Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 0 minute ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
17 killed in Afghanistan attacks
August 01, 2018
 Print    Send to Friend

JALALABAD: Gunmen on Tuesday stormed an Afghan government office in Jalalabad during a meeting with foreign aid agencies, killing at least six people in the latest of a series of assaults in the eastern city.

On the other side of the country a roadside bomb apparently intended for security forces hit a passenger bus and killed 11 people, as civilians once again bear the brunt of violence in Afghanistan.

The attack in Jalalabad targeted the compound of the refugees and repatriations department. It ended after more than five hours of intense fighting between militants and security forces, said Attaullah Khogyani, spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province.

At least six people were killed and 14 wounded, Khogyani said, but he warned the toll could rise as security forces searched the building.

As the attack began with multiple explosions, local representatives of foreign donors and agencies were meeting department employees inside the building.

“All the partner agency representatives attending the meeting were Afghans and those who were stuck inside, including the director of the refugees and repatriations department, were rescued,” Khogyani said.

Several people had been taken hostage by the attackers, said Zabiullah Zmarary, a provincial council member.

“I saw a black Corolla car drop three armed men at the gate of the refugees and repatriations department,” a witness told AFP.

At least one of the men blew himself up at the gate and two others entered the building, the witness said.

Khogyani said the two attackers were killed.

Security forces swarmed into the area, and a plume of thick black smoke rose into the sky above the compound.

The Taliban denied involvement in the incident in a WhatsApp message sent to journalists.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which comes three days after militants raided a midwife training centre in Jalalabad.

The Daesh group claimed responsibility for Saturday’s attack, which left at least three people dead and several wounded.

Jalalabad has been the scene of multiple attacks in recent months that have killed dozens, as US and Afghan forces continue offensives against militants.

In the western province of Farah on Tuesday the bomb which hit the bus killed at least 11 people and wounded 31.

Reuters
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Suicide attack on Afghan police bus kills six
KABUL: A suicide car bomb attack on a bus carrying police officers and workers in central Afghanistan killed at least six people and wounded dozens on Saturday, officials..
Suicide bomber kills two in Afghanistan
JALALABAD: A suicide bomb blast killed at least two people on Saturday outside an election commission office in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, officials said. T..
35 candidates linked to armed groups ‘disqualified’
KABUL: Afghanistan’s top electoral body has barred 35 candidates from running in upcoming parliamentary polls, officials said, in a move seen as a first major attempt to ..
Afghan child bride killed by husband in revenge
HERAT: An Afghan child forced to marry a man at least twice her age in a traditional bridal exchange has been tortured to death by her husband in a revenge killing, offic..
Gunmen attack Afghan education office, 11 killed
JALABAD: At least 11 people were killed after gunmen stormed an education department compound in eastern Afghanistan on Wednesday, officials said, sparking an hours-long..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright