Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 2 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Daesh claims beheading of 11 at Libya checkpoint
August 24, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

BENGHAZI: At least 11 people were beheaded on Wednesday in an attack claimed by the Daesh group on a checkpoint manned by forces of Libyan military strongman Khalifa Haftar.

Haftar’s spokesman Colonel Ahmad Al-Mesmari said “at least nine soldiers were beheaded... in addition to two civilians” when the extremist attacked at dawn in the Al-Jufra region about 500 kilometres (300 miles) south of Tripoli.

Daesh claimed responsibility for the attack via its Amaq propaganda channel on the Telegram messaging app, saying its fighters had killed or wounded “21 members of Haftar’s militia.”

 Libya has been rocked by chaos since the 2011 fall and killing of longtime strongman Muammer Qadhafi in a Nato-backed revolution.

 Extremists, arms dealers and people traffickers have gained a foothold in the North African country as multiple authorities and dozens of militias vie for power.

 Forces allied with the United Nations-backed Government of National Accord drove Daesh from their stronghold of Sirte on the Mediterranean coast in December.

 The GNA underlined at the time that the battle against rebels was not over, as armed groups continue to hunt down Daesh members who fled Sirte as the city fell.

Analysts and military sources say the group remains active in Libya, particularly in the desert south where the GNA holds little sway.

Haftar, who backs a rival administration that refuses to recognise the GNA, controls much of the country’s vast southern desert.

 His self-proclaimed Libyan National Army in May seized Tamenhant base near the southern city of Sebha after driving out a pro-GNA militia.


The following month, it seized Al-Jufra, including a key military air base, from the Benghazi Defence Brigades, a coalition that includes extremists driven out of Libya’s second city by pro-Haftar forces.

That placed the strongman in control of all the major cities and military bases in southern Libya.

Also in July, Haftar announced the “total liberation” of Benghazi, three years after his forces launched a military operation to seize the city.

 But clashes have continued in the city, a bastion of the 2011 uprising that later fell to extremists.

 Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Libya recovers bodies of Egyptians killed by Daesh
TRIPOLI: The bodies of 21 Egyptian Christians killed by Daesh in its former Libyan stronghold of Sirte have been recovered, the attorney general’s office said on Friday. ..
Libya forces attack Daesh militants near Sirte
BENGHAZI: East Libyan forces said they had launched air strikes on Daesh fighters after the militants made incursions south and east of their former coastal stronghold of..
Need weeks to clear Daesh mines in Sirte: Libya
MISRATA: Libyan forces said late on Friday that they will need weeks to clear the multitude of mines planted by the defeated Daesh group in its former stronghold of Sirte..
Libyan forces secure last few buildings in Sirte
SIRTE: Libyan forces said on Tuesday they were securing the last few buildings where Daesh militants had been making a final stand in their former North African stronghol..
Libya loyalists take Sirte bastion from Daesh
TRIPOLI: Forces loyal to Libya’s UN-backed government said on Monday they had seized full control of the city of Sirte from the Daesh group, dealing a major blow to the e..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright