Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 3 hours, 35 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Froome admits adverse test result ‘damaging’
December 15, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

London: Chris Froome admitted on Thursday that his adverse drugs test during his victory at the Vuelta a Espana is “damaging” as the four-time Tour de France winner battles to clear his name.

The British rider had twice the permissible amount of asthma medication Salbutamol in his system during the Grand Tour race he won in September. Cycling’s governing body UCI has asked the Team Sky rider to provide more information but in line with World Anti-Doping Agency guidelines has not suspended him.

If Froome fails to provide a satisfactory answer the UCI could proceed with an anti-doping rule violation case, which could strip him of his Vuelta victory and result in him missing a large chunk of next season.

“This is damaging. It’s come as a huge shock to me as well,” Froome, 32, told Sky Sports.

“At the same time I know within me that fundamentally I have followed the protocol, I have not overstepped any boundaries and I hope by the end of this process that will be clear to everyone and I’ll be exonerated of any wrongdoing.

Team Sky said in a statement on Wednesday that Froome experienced “acute asthma symptoms” during the final week of the Vuelta and increased his dosage of Salbutamol, within permissible limits, on medical advice.

“Coming into the last week of La Vuelta I began to feel a lot more symptomatic -- my asthma was playing up a lot more and that’s when the doctor advised me to increase the number of puffs - obviously staying well in the legal limit of the maximum allowed number of puffs you can take during the race,” said Froome.

“So we did increase it and that’s why we’re faced with this question of ‘I did stay within the limits but obviously the test results show a different reading’ so we’re trying to evaluate what has happened.”

Movistar challenge

Movistar announced all three of Nairo Quintana, Alejandro Valverde and the newly recruited Mikel Landa will team up to ride the 2018 Tour de France on Thursday.

The team are considered as British team Sky’s closest rival ands the line up represents their strongest assault on the yellow jersey yet.

The Spanish outfit snapped up climb specialist Landa from Team Sky in August with the objective of ending Sky and Chris Froome’s grip on the Tour. However, Movistar’s task could be made much easier if Froome is sanctioned for an adverse drugs test result as he won the Vuelta a Espana in September.

Agence France-Presse

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
World champ Valverde eyes maiden Tour of Lombardy triumph
Milan: Newly-crowned world champion Alejandro Valverde headlines the season-finale Tour of Lombardy on Saturday looking for his first win in a race where he has twice fin..
Tour de France trophy stolen at cycle show: Team Sky
Birmingham: The Tour de France trophy won by Team Sky’s Geraint Thomas earlier this year has been stolen during a cycle show in Birmingham, the British team said on Wedne..
Yates still in lead as Woods wins 17th stage
Monte Oiz: Britain’s Simon Yates held on to his overall lead in the Tour of Spain on Wednesday as Canada’s Michael Woods won a summit finish to the the 17th stage in the ..
British team to have twin challenge for cycling worlds
London: Twins Simon and Adam Yates will spearhead Britain’s challenge at the Cycling Road World Championships in Innsbruck, Austria, later this month, British Cycling ann..
Dennis wins time trial; Yates extends lead
Madrid: Australian Rohan Dennis, of BMC, time-trialled to victory on stage 16 of the Tour of Spain on Tuesday as Britain’s Simon Yates increased his overall lead on rival..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright