Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 19 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Canada approves massive Arctic iron ore mine
December 05, 2012
 Print    Send to Friend

TORONTO: Canada, hoping to spur economic development of its far north, has approved the construction of a massive iron ore mine in the Arctic territory of Nunavut that could help top steelmaker ArcelorMittal reduce its dependence on outside suppliers.

The open-pit Mary River project on remote Baffin Island was approved on Monday by the Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development, based on the recommendation of the Nunavut Impact Review Board.

 “It’s a game changer for Nunavut and particularly for Baffin Island,” said Minister John Duncan.

 The project “will bring infrastructure and much economic activity and many jobs to the area and, of course, revenues to government and to the Inuit organisation,” he said, referring to the Inuit aboriginals in the region.   That said, Mary River -which could to produce at least 18 million tonnes of iron ore a year over a 21-year mine life -is still years away from production, if it ever gets off the ground.

The project needs its project certificate and a water license before work can proceed.

Baffinland Iron Mines Corp, the ArcelorMittal subsidiary developing the mine, also needs to finalise an impact benefit agreement with the local population.

“This is very much a transitional point for us from the environmental assessment phase to the regulatory permitting phase,” said Baffinland spokesman Gregory Missal. “It is a long process but we’re getting there.”

Once all the pieces are in place, Baffinland will turn to its shareholders to make the call on whether construction will go forward. Arcelor holds a 70 per cent stake in the company, with Iron Ore Holdings LP owning the remaining 30 per cent. Considered one of the richest undeveloped iron ore deposits in the world, permitting the Mary River project has already taken nearly five years. It is expected to cost some $4 billion to build, including related infrastructure.

 ArcelorMittal, which gained control of the rich project after a contentious bidding war in 2011, had been building up its iron ore division in an effort to reduce its dependence on top miners such as Vale SA, Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton. The company is also in the midst of an expansion at its iron ore projects in the province of Quebec.

Reuters

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Bank of Canada may reconsider lifting inflation target
CALGARY: The inability to cut interest rates below zero to stimulate the economy in the aftermath of the recent financial crisis has caused the Bank of Canada to begin co..
Agrium to cut 500 jobs, sell some businesses
WINNIPEG: Canadian fertiliser producer Agrium will cut 500 jobs and look to sell several noncore businesses as it aims to find $475 million in savings by 2017, Chief Exec..
Imperial Oil earnings jump as income from refining surges
TORONTO: Imperial Oil, Canada’s second-largest integrated oil producer and refiner, reported a 45 per cent jump in third quarter earnings as it refined more crude oil at ..
Goldcorp sees better results on strong output in Q4
TORONTO: Goldcorp said it expected “very strong” fourth quarter production after its third quarter earnings and output fell short of market expectations, pushing its stoc..
Petronas sells stake in Canada gas project to Sinopec
VANCOUVER: A plan by Malaysian state-owned oil firm Petronas to build an $11 billion liquefied natural gas (LNG) export terminal on Canada’s Pacific Coast gained momentum..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright