Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 55 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Attacked Bolshoi ballet chief ‘regaining sight’
January 22, 2013
 Print    Send to Friend

MOSCOW: Russian doctors said on Monday that the Bolshoi ballet’s artistic director would regain sight in at least one eye following a brutal acid attack his coworkers blamed on infighting at the famed theatre.

But Sergei Filin’s doctors added that a string of operations was required before they could determine whether one of Russia’s greatest recent performers could return to what may be the most influential job in dance.

“The trend is generally positive,” the Moscow health service’s top eyesight specialist Larisa Mashetova said in televised remarks.

“He is regaining sight faster in one eye, but I think that we are going to even things out for both,” said Mashetova.

“Still, the recovery process will take a lot of time.” The 42-year-old Filin — appointed artistic director in 2011 after an acclaimed stage career — suffered third-degree burns to his face late on Thursday when a masked man cornered him near his central Moscow house.

Preliminary findings released Sunday showed that the assailant used sulphuric acid. Closed circuit footage showed a figure running away through an empty outdoor parking lot in the dark.

Several of the ballet’s greatest dancers have since reported infighting at the Bolshoi — founded in 1776 — and voiced fears the attack may be linked to Filin’s decision to award top roles to his favourite dancers.

They said Filin himself had on occasion mentioned feeling like he was in a constant fight for survival with his staff.

The weeks leading up to the attack appeared to be filled with tumult and almost open verbal warfare between some members of Russia’s artistic elite.

Filin reported the tyres of his car being slashed in the week preceding Thursday acid attack.

One of his social media accounts was also hacked and its contents — including some private exchanges of an explicit nature — published online in what friends interpreted as a broader intimidation campaign.

But the assault itself appeared to leave a deep scar on dancers who have since expressed nothing but respect for their boss.

“This is just theatre,” Bolshoi’s choreographer Svetlana Adyrkhayeva was quoted by Russian media as saying over the weekend.

“Normal people do not behave in this manner.” Moscow police have so far made no arrests while spending the weekend interviewing Bolshoi dancers and directors as part of their investigation.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Nato bolsters forces in eastern Europe
BRUSSELS: Nato is strengthening its military footprint in eastern Europe immediately in response to Russia’s aggression in Ukraine, the alliance’s chief said on Wednesday..
Russian MPs want treason charge against Gorbachev
MOSCOW: A group of Russian MPs have formally requested prosecutors to investigate former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev for treason over the breakup of the Soviet Union,..
Russia confirms death of most wanted man
MOSCOW: Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) said on Tuesday it had killed Moscow’s most wanted man, insurgency leader Doku Umarov, in a combat operation. A website..
Nato to boost might in Poland
WARSAW: Nato will strengthen its presence in Poland within weeks, Prime Minister Donald Tusk said on Saturday, a move that could help allay fears in eastern European stat..
Russia pulls back battalion from Ukraine border region
MOSCOW: The Russian defence ministry on Monday said it was pulling back a battalion from a region on the border with Ukraine but it was not clear if this was linked to a ..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright