Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Yemen vows to stop child recruitment in forces: UN
November 30, 2012
 Print    Send to Friend

SANAA: Yemeni political leaders have pledged to stop recruiting children in government forces of the country, which frequently sees violence between troops and armed groups, a UN official said.

“I am heartened by the pledge from President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi and others in government to end the recruitment and use of children by government forces,” Leila Zerrougui, the United Nations Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict said in a statement late on Wednesday.

Hadi had ordered the country’s security forces “not to recruit children under 18 years old” after his meeting with Zerrougui on Tuesday, state news agency Saba reported.

Zerrougui also held a “positive meeting” with Abdel Malek Al Huthi, the head of the Zaidi Shiite rebels in the northern Saada province “who also pledged to work towards the reintegration of children.”

In addition to the Yemeni army and Zaidi rebels, General Ali Mohsen Al Ahmar’s First Armoured Division which protected protesters against ousted president Ali Abdullah Saleh last year, as well as pro-army tribal militias who helped Yemeni troops battle Al Qaeda in the south, also recruit children.

According to Seyaj, a Yemeni organisation for the protection of children, nearly 100,000 children under the age of 18 have been involved in one of these groups, mentioned on the UN Secretary General’s “list of shame for the recruitment or use of children.”

“Children must go to school, not military camps; I urge the government to act quickly with the United Nations’ support in separating children from the security forces, and ensuring that they are reintegrated back into civilian life,” Zerrougui said in the statement.

Agnce France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Thousands join Shiite protest in Yemen
SANAA: Tens of thousands of people joined an anti-government rally in Sanaa on Monday in response to a call by Shiite rebel commander Abdulmalik Al Huthi, an AFP journali..
Six Al Qaeda, three Yemen troops killed
SANAA: in clashes Six suspected Al Qaeda militants and three Yemeni troops died in clashes Sunday in the southeastern province of Hadramawt, scene of many recent attacks ..
Yemen blast kills 10 civilians, 3 security personnel
SANAA: Ten civilians and three army technicians were killed on Wednesday when a bomb planted near a prison by presumed Al Qaeda militants exploded in south Yemen, a secur..
Fighting, blast claim 25 lives in Yemen
SANAA: Fighting between Shi’ite Muslim Houthi rebels and Sunnis loyal to the Islamist Islah party has killed at least 15 people in Yemen’s Al Jouf province, tribal source..
Airstrike kills 3 Al Qaeda militants in central Yemen
SANAA: Three suspected Al Qaeda Yemeni militants were killed in an airstrike that targeted their house on Saturday in the country’s central province of Marib, a security ..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright