Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
Last updated 5 hours, 47 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
Boston answers still remain elusive
April 26, 2013
 Print    Send to Friend

WASHINGTON: The United States does not have answers to all the questions related to the Boston terrorist attack, and the complete and comprehensive investigation is going to take some time, the White House said on Wednesday.

“As the President Barack Obama said on Friday night, we need to know whether they acted alone or whether they had associations. That’s why we need a comprehensive investigation,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters at his news conference.

“We need to know what inspired them, how they came about possessing or developing the weapons and explosive devices that they used.

“These are all matters that are under investigation right now as part of the case against the second suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, and the overall investigation into the bombings themselves.

“I don’t think we have all the answers yet, and we won’t for some time.”

Carney acknowledged that the issue of self-radicalisation, especially online radicalisation and radicalisation that leads to violence, has been a concern and it has been an issue in the past.

“We have seen it in the past in very well-known cases. And this is a problem that the president has talked about and leaders of his national security team have talked about. The threat that faces us as a nation has evolved.

“We continue to face a threat from Al Qaeda central even though we have met with significant progress in the fight against Al Qaeda central, beginning with the elimination of Osama Bin Laden,” Carney said.

The offshoots of Al Qaeda are now appearing in various parts of the region and the world.

“We have other terrorist threats and the threat posed by independent actors. We don’t know yet whether, the independent actor prism is the one that will fit this particular case,” he said.

Carney said the question of whether or not they had any associations is one under investigation by the proper authorities.

Meanwhile, police have revealed that only one gun — a semi-automatic handgun — has been recovered from the two men suspected of carrying out the Boston Marathon bombings.

The gun, presumably used by Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was recovered at the shootout scene in Watertown, Massachusetts, and is in the custody of the state police, ABC News reported on Thursday.

No guns were recovered from the boat where his brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was captured on Friday after an intense manhunt.

Tamerlan was killed earlier on Friday in a shootout with the police.

Law enforcement sources said the recovered gun was a Ruger 9mm semi-automatic handgun and the serial number had been obliterated.

The apparent lack of firearms led some officials to theorise the brothers’ fatal attack on Sean Collier, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer, was an attempt to arm themselves, officials said.

US officials said that the federal government added Tamerlan’s name to a terrorist database 18 months before the deadly explosions.

Five days after the US determined who was allegedly behind the deadly Boston marathon terror attacks, Washington is piecing together what happened and whether there were any unconnected dots buried in US government files that, if connected, could have prevented the bombings.


Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Post a comment
Related Stories
McCain, Graham want 100,000 troops to fight Daesh
BAGHDAD: US senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham called on Sunday for 100,000 foreign soldiers, most from Middle East regional states but also including Americans, to ..
Scare as man jumps White House fence
WASHINGTON: A man draped in an American flag climbed over the fence at the White House on Thursday, prompting a lock-down as the first family celebrated Thanksgiving. ..
Obama sees no specific threat to US
WASHINGTON: President Barack Obama sought to reassure Americans they were safe as millions of travellers set off for the long Thanksgiving weekend on Wednesday and author..
US issues global travel alert
WASHINGTON: Citing “increased terrorist threats” from militant groups in various regions of the world, the US State Department issued a global alert on Monday for America..
Congress extends ban on Gitmo prison closure
WASHINGTON: The US Congress extended a ban Tuesday on the transfer of detainees held at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba to the United States, in a bid to block any attempt by Pres..
Advertise | Copyright