Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 3 hours, 21 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
California ex-officials convicted in corruption trial
March 22, 2013
 Print    Send to Friend

LOS ANGELES: Five former elected officials from the scandal-plagued California city of Bell were convicted on Wednesday of misusing municipal funds by collecting exorbitant salaries in a case that drew national attention as a symbol of public corruption.

The trial stemmed from an explosive scandal in Bell, a small, mostly blue-collar municipality near Los Angeles, following revelations in 2010 that its city manager, Robert Rizzo, was paid a salary of $787,000 — or nearly twice that of President Barack Obama.

Rizzo faces a separate trial with his onetime assistant, Angela Spaccia, on public corruption-related charges.

The Bell scandal fuelled a statewide debate over public pay and led to upheaval in the city of over 35,000 residents, who in 2011 voted to replace all their council members.

Capping two weeks of deliberations, a Los Angeles County jury on Wednesday found ex-Mayor Oscar Hernandez and former City Council members Teresa Jacobo and George Mirabal each guilty on five felony counts of misappropriation of public funds and acquitted them of five other counts.

Former Councilman George Cole was convicted of two counts and acquitted of two others, while ex-Councilman Victor Bellow was found guilty of four counts and acquitted of four others.

A sixth defendant, former Councilman Luis Artiga, was acquitted of all 12 counts against him.

He wept as Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Kathleen Kennedy told him he was free to go.

After acquitting Artiga, the jury of seven women and five men said they had deadlocked, 9-3, on remaining counts against his five co-defendants.

They went home for the day and were expected to return on Thursday morning to resume deliberations.

One juror sent the court a note after the guilty verdicts were reached in which he said he had questions about information he felt had not been “presented properly,” and had left him with doubts.

Cole’s attorney Ronald Kaye seized on the note to ask the judge to question the juror about his verdict, on the grounds that he may have had a doubt that would undermine the panel’s unanimous decision on the guilty verdicts.

Judge Kennedy said she was “not going to re-open verdicts that have been reached.” All six former officials on trial had been accused of giving themselves extravagant pay for sitting on various municipal boards - the Community Housing Authority, Surplus Property Authority, Public Financing Authority and Solid Waste and Recycling Authority — that rarely met to conduct business. Bellow’s attorney, Leo Moriarty, said outside court it was unclear how much time behind bars the convicted defendants could face, but he added that they could be sentenced to probation under the counts on which they have been found guilty.

Reuters
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Marathon will be ‘safest on planet’
BOSTON: The arrest of a man with a rice cooker in his backpack near the Boston Marathon finish line led police to step up patrols on Wednesday, while organisers sought to..
California city ex-manager jailed for graft
LOS ANGELES: The former city administrator of Bell, California, who became a symbol of local government corruption when news surfaced of his annual salary of about $800,0..
Texas executes man convicted of triple murder
TEXAS: Texas executed by lethal injection on Wednesday a man who was convicted of stabbing his girlfriend, her child and her mother to death after a cocaine binge in 2001..
New York police end spying on Muslims
NEW YORK: Police in New York said on Tuesday that they had disbanded a deeply controversial and heavily criticised unit that sent undercover officers to spy on local Musl..
Bloomberg sets $50m to fight gun violence
WASHINGTON: Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg ramped up his efforts to fight gun violence on Wednesday with a plan to spend $50 million on a grassroots network to o..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright