Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 5 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Tunisian hardliners end hunger strike
December 29, 2012
 Print    Send to Friend

TUNIS: Around 65 Tunisian Islamist prisoners have ended a hunger strike they began to demand their sentencing or immediate release, but seven are still refusing food, a human rights organisation said on Friday.

Justice ministry official Fadhel Saihi confirmed to AFP that the protest had been suspended, but did not say how many prisoners were involved.

The Liberty and Equality Association did not specify when the hunger strike began, but said it was concerned for the health of one protester, Mohamed Ali Ben Nasr, who stopped eating a month ago and was taken to hospital on Tuesday.

Nasr’s lawyer Anouar Ouled Ali said he was in critical condition.

In November, up to 200 hardline Salafist prisoners refused to eat, and two fellow inmates died after refusing food for nearly two months.

Most of the strikers had been arrested in connection with a wave of attacks blamed on Tunisia’s hardline Salafists that has rocked the country since its revolution of January 2011.

Around 220 Salafist Islamists have been arrested in 2011 and 2012 in relation to numerous attacks, according to Saihi.

Agence France-Presse

 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
US, Tunisia agree to boost security ties
WASHINGTON: The United States and Tunisia on Wednesday agreed to boost security and economic ties at the start of a high-profile visit by Tunisian President Beji Caid Ess..
US delivers Humvees, patrol boat to Tunisia
TUNIS: The United States announced on Thursday the delivery of 52 Humvee military vehicles and a patrol boat to help Tunisia counter extremist violence and ward off the i..
Tunisia plans to reopen Syria consulate
Tunis: Tunisia announced on Thursday plans to appoint a consular or diplomatic representative to war-hit Syria, more than three years after the two countries broke off di..
Key suspect in Tunisia museum killed
TUNIS: Tunisia’s prime minister said on Sunday a leading suspect in a deadly museum attack on foreign tourists has been killed in anti-terrorist operations as foreign lea..
Tunisia nabs 23 suspects in museum attack
TUNIS: Tunisia said on Thursday that an attack on a Tunis museum last week was launched by a cell of 23 militants, including an Algerian and Moroccans, with overlapping a..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright