Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 7 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
$85,000 payout in US hijab case
August 12, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

Los Angeles: A California city has agreed to pay $85,000 (Dhs312,205) to settle a lawsuit filed by a Muslim woman whose hijab was forcibly removed by the police.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, (CAIR) which announced the settlement on Thursday, had sued the city of Long Beach on behalf of Kirsty Powell, an African-American Muslim, “after police officers forcibly removed her Hijab in view of other male officers and dozens of inmates.”

Powell, who wears the head covering “as part of her religious beliefs,” was “forced to spend the entire night exposed in custody and described the experience as deeply traumatising,” the rights group said.

Powell was arrested during a traffic stop in May 2015 on outstanding warrants that were since cleared.

Long Beach voted on Tuesday to approve the settlement, CAIR said, adding that nearby communities have already adopted policies protecting religious headwear in detention following similar lawsuits.

Now female officers are required to remove the headscarves of female inmates “when necessary for officer safety,” and away from male officers and inmates, Long Beach assistant city attorney Monte Machit told the ‘Los Angeles Times.’

During the arrest officers told Powell that she had to remove her Hijab.

Powell was denied requests for a female officer to search her, and was denied requests to wear her Hijab in custody.

“I would never want anyone to go through what I felt from this experience,” Powell said when the suit was filed last year, according to CAIR.

Agence France-Presse

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Obama dismissed from jury duty in Chicago
Chicago: Former US president Barack Obama answered a jury summons on Wednesday, but was dismissed soon after arriving at a Chicago courthouse to perform the civic duty as..
Trump seeks death for New York attacker
NEW YORK:US President Donald Trump said the Uzbek immigrant accused of killing eight people when he drove a truck down a New York City bike path should get the death pena..
Eight perish in New York terror attack
WASHINGTON: Secretary of State Rex Tillerson warned on Wednesday the United States and its allies are still in a global fight to eliminate terrorism, after an attack in N..
JFK secret files reveal mafia plots, FBI warning on killer
WASHINGTON: The US government on Thursday released a mammoth, long-awaited trove of secret files on the killing of president John F. Kennedy, offering intriguing new insi..
Gunman kills over 58 in Las Vegas
Las Vegas: At least 58 people were killed and 500 injured when a heavily armed “lone wolf” gunman opened fire from a 32-floor hotel room on an open-air concert on the Las..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright