Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 11 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Nearly 30 bodies found after clashes near Libya capital
November 13, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

TRIPOLI: Twenty eight bodies with bullet wounds and torture marks were discovered on Saturday in an area west of Libya’s capital that has recently seen clashes between rival armed factions, a local human rights group said.

Ahmad Hamza, of Libya’s National Commission for Human Rights (NCHR), said that the victims were fighters opposed to government-aligned coalition forces, who had been arrested before they were killed.

Locals found the bodies near a road in the town of Alhira, 60 kilometres southwest of the capital Tripoli, Hamza said on Sunday.

The town is in the Wershafana area, where fighting broke out last week when a coalition of forces nominally aligned with the internationally recognised government in Tripoli launched a campaign against rival armed groups, including loyalists of former Libyan leader Muammar Qadhafi.

The victims’ families had not been allowed to receive the bodies for “reasons that are not known”, Hamza said.

“According to the fact-finding, monitoring and documentation section of NCHR, there are signs of torture and they (the victims) were shot in the chest and head,” he said.

The Wershafana region has been largely cut off from the capital for several years and has become notorious for violence and criminal activity.

The military council of Zintan, a town southwest of Tripoli that is participating in the campaign against rival armed groups, had said it aimed to deal with “murder, kidnapping and acts of barbarism in the region.” There was no immediate comment from the Zintan military council after the bodies were discovered.

The recent fighting displaced about 480 families, although around 100 have since returned to their homes, according to local authorities.

Reuters
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Libyan commander released after demonstrations
BENGHAZI: A Libyan commander wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) over a series of summary executions was released on Thursday, a day after handing himself in..
Dozens perish in Libya twin bombings
BENGHAZI:The toll from a twin car bombing at a mosque in Libya’s eastern city of Benghazi rose to 35 on Wednesday, medical officials said, one of the highest from a singl..
Mines still claim legs and lives in Benghazi
BENGHAZI: As military deminers warily picked their way through streets wrecked by war in Benghazi, a loud blast rang out - a familiar sound in the Libyan city, areas of w..
Tripoli flights still suspended after fighting
TRIPOLI: The Libyan capital’s only working international airport remained closed to flights on Tuesday, the airport said, a day after fighting killed at least 20 people a..
Clashes kill 10 at Libya’s international airport
TRIPOLI: Fighting at the Libyan capital’s only working international airport killed at least 10 people on Monday, officials said, after militiamen attacked it in an attem..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright