Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
Last updated 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
Rape case moves to fast-track court
January 18, 2013
 Print    Send to Friend

NEW DELHI: The trial in the gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old girl in a moving bus in New Delhi was on Thursday committed to sessions and proceedings in the fast track court would commence from Jan.21.

Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna, who will be heading the fast track court, will conduct the case against the five accused.

The case was committed to the sessions judge by Metropolitan Magistrate Namrita Aggarwal, who conducted the proceedings in-camera and all the accused were on Thursday supplied with documents related to the case.

Defence counsel ML Sharma, VK Anand, Vivek Sharma and AP Singh told reporters outside the court that they have also received the e-challan copy of the charge sheet and all the documents related to the case has also been supplied to them.

The counsel also said that the court has rejected prosecution’s plea for bringing the accused in handcuffs.

The court had earlier fixed Thursday for scrutiny of the documents which has been completed.

The five accused — bus driver Ram Singh, his brother Mukesh, Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Akshay Singh — were produced before the court.

The case of the sixth accused — a minor — is being heard by a Juvenile Justice Board.

The victim, a paramedical student, was brutally raped and assaulted in a moving bus here on the night of Dec.16, 2012 and she died of injuries on Dec.29 in a Singapore hospital.

One of the men accused of taking part in the fatal gangrape of a student has been badly beaten up in jail by other prisoners, his lawyer said on Thursday.

AP Singh told reporters that his client Vinay Sharma, a gym instructor accused of the murder and rape of the woman on a moving bus last month, was in agony during a court appearance on Thursday.

“Vinay Sharma was badly tortured in jail by other inmates who pounced on him. He was not in a position to stand up in court because he was in great pain,” Singh said.

“It is sad the jail authorities cannot provide security to them,” he added.

Twenty-year-old Sharma is one of six people — one of them a juvenile — arrested over an attack.

The case is expected to be transferred to a fast-track court later this month, as calls grow for a swift trial and stiffer penalties for sex attackers.

The five adults could face the death penalty if convicted.

A lawyer for another defendant, bus driver Ram Singh, told reporters he would ask the Supreme Court to transfer the case out of the Indian capital, saying: “I know we will not get justice in Delhi.”

A wide-ranging gagging order has been imposed on media reporting of the case.

The young student died on Dec.29, 13 days after the attack, due to severe internal injuries suffered when she was violated with a metal rod.

The commencement of the pre-trial proceedings in the Delhi gangrape case descended into chaos when a section of lawyers created a ruckus in the court, objecting to a few advocates coming forward to defend the accused or serve as amicus curiae.

The Delhi police then moved an application for holding further proceedings away from public glare, and the court ordered in-camera proceedings and put a gag reporting on the case by the print and electronic media.


Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Post a comment
Advertise | Copyright