Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 17 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
UN, Syria claim reaching deal on chemical arms
July 28, 2013
 Print    Send to Friend

BEIRUT: Talks between the Syrian government and a UN delegation tasked with investigating chemical weapons allegations in the nation’s civil war have “resulted in an agreement on ways of moving forward,” Syrian state media said on Saturday.

A UN spokeswoman said Secretary General Ban Ki-moon will review the accord before any details are announced.

Ban will meet in New York on Monday the two envoys who struck the accord, spokeswoman Morana Song told AFP.

The UN and Syrian government said in a joint statement issued late Friday that an accord had been reached “on the way forward” in the investigation, following the visit to Damascus by Ake Sellstrom, head of the UN inspectors, and Angela Kane, the UN disarmament envoy.

The statement did not say whether UN inspectors would be allowed into Syria as Ban has demanded.

“Ms Kane and Dr Sellstrom are expected to report to the secretary general on Monday on the result of their visit to Syria,” Song said.

“We will have no further comment until the secretary general has had an opportunity to get briefed on the visit and review the situation,” she added. Kane and Sellstrom were in Damascus on Wednesday and Thursday.

They met Foreign Minister Walid Al Muallem and deputy prime minister Qadri Jamil, said the joint statement.

“The discussions were thorough and productive and led to an agreement on the way forward,” the joint statement added, without giving any other detail.

The UN says it has been given reports of 13 chemical weapons attacks during the 28-month old conflict.

Ban has demanded widespread access to investigate all allegations.

Syria has insisted the UN only investigate its claim that opposition rebels used chemical weapons in the town of Khan Al Assal on March 19.

Britain, France and the United States say all the attacks were carried out by President Bashar Al Assad’s forces.

Russia, Assad’s main ally, says its inquiry found opposition rebels used sarin gas in Khan Al Assal.

Assad’s government invited a UN team to visit Damascus earlier this month after requesting that the international organisation investigate an alleged chemical attack in Khan Al Assal, a village in the north.

Earlier this week Swedish chemical weapons expert Ake Sellstrom and UN disarmament chief Angela Kane met Foreign Minister Walid Al Moallem and his deputy, Faisal Mekdad, in the Syrian capital.

Agencies
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Kurdish fighters say weapons not yet enough
BEIRUT: The main Syrian Kurdish armed group defending the Syrian border town on Kobani against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) attackers said on Monday arms air-dr..
EU agrees to expand sanctions on Syria
LUXEMBOURG: European Union foreign ministers have agreed to expand sanctions against Syria, adding 16 names and two entities to the blacklist, EU sources said on Monday. ..
Refugee camp named after Kurdish suicide bomber
BEIRUT: Syrian Kurdish refugees who streamed into Turkey from Kobani have found sanctuary in a new camp named after a female Kurdish suicide bomber who blew herself up in..
ISIS suffers heavy losses in Kobani battle
BAGHDAD: Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) was taking heavy losses in the Syrian battleground of Kobani on Sunday as Iraqi forces fought the jihadists buoyed by US b..
One house, five families and multiple tales of loss
BEIRUT: The stone house has just two rooms but is now home to five Syrian families who fled the besieged town of Kobani to the relative safety of Turkey just a few kilome..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright