Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 3 hours, 15 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
FIFA trial hears bribes paid to get tourney rights
December 08, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

New York: A Brazilian businessman told a US Federal Court on Wednesday that he helped set up a huge bribe to South American football officials to secure the rights for a new tournament.

Fabio Tordin testified in New York at the trial of three South American football executives charged in connection with the largest graft scandal in world soccer history.

Tordin was one of 42 people indicted in the FIFA corruption mega-scandal. He pleaded guilty in 2015, agreed to return $600,000 and is now cooperating with the US government against the only three accused in the dock.

Their trial began last month.

Jose Maria Marin, 85, former president of Brazil’s Football Confederation; former FIFA vice president Juan Angel Napout, 59, of Paraguay; and Manuel Burga, who led soccer in Peru until 2014, are charged with racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies.

Tordin said that at a lavish farm on a summer night in Uruguay, three other top officials, from CONCACAF, the football federation for North and Central America and the Caribbean, accepted nearly $500,000 from Argentinian sports rights company Full Play -- but the tournament never happened.

According to Tordin, the deal was set up by him and Miguel Trujillo, a Colombian football consultant with links to Full Play’s owners, Hugo and Mariano Jinkis.

Agence France-Presse

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
FIFA wants to double number of women footballers
Paris: FIFA, the governing body of world football, wants to double the number of women players, saying on Wednesday that it has set out “concrete projects” to achieve tha..
IOC elects 9 new members but snubs FIFA, IAAF again
BUENOS AIRES: The International Olympic Committee admitted nine new members on Tuesday but snubbed both soccer’s FIFA and athletics’ IAAF again as both have struggled wit..
Infantino has ‘support of Africa’ in FIFA re-election bid
Sharm el Sheikh: African nations would support Gianni Infantino for re-election as FIFA president, the head of the continental football federation Ahmad Ahmad said on Sun..
CR7 turns focus to Juve challenge post FIFA snub
Milan: Cristiano Ronaldo turns his focus back to Juventus’s quest for a treble this season on Wednesday after losing out in the FIFA’s best player of the year award. F..
Ronaldo will break duck in next game, says Allegri
Milan: Cristiano Ronaldo is sure to break his scoring duck Sunday against Sassuolo, Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri insisted as he backed the Portuguese star to win t..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright