Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 3 hours, 28 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Taiwan demolishes three quake-hit buildings
February 09, 2018
 Print    Send to Friend

HUALIEN: Taiwan began demolishing three dangerously damaged buildings on Friday as rescue workers combed the rubble of a hotel in a last-ditch effort to find seven people still missing after a deadly earthquake.

At least 10 people were killed when the 6.4-magnitude quake hit the eastern tourist city of Hualien on Tuesday. A family of five Chinese mainland nationals and a Canadian-Chinese couple remain missing.

They are all “believed to be trapped in the second floor of Yun Tsui building,” Hualien mayor Fu Kun-chi said on local television on Friday, warning that the chances of finding people alive were now slim.

“Rescuers will seize the ‘golden 72 hours of rescue time’ to make an all-out effort for rescue,” he added.

The powerful tremor left a handful of buildings badly damaged — some tilting at precarious angles — as well as roads torn up.

Three of the partially collapsed buildings have been cleared of people and are now being demolished “in order to maintain safety for the public,” the mayor said, adding that authorities are probing possible construction irregularities.

The major focus for emergency responders remains another damaged building, the Yun Tsui apartment block, which housed the Beauty Stay Hotel on its lower floors. Seven of the dead perished in that building and the remaining missing were hotel guests there. 

The lower floors of the 12-storey tower pancaked, leaving the structure leaning at a fifty-degree angle and sparking fears of an imminent collapse.

National Fire Agency search and rescue team leader Liang Kuo-wei told AFP it had taken 12 hours to break through to the second-floor hotel room where the Canadian couple were staying.

They had found their suitcase and “running shoes, sunglasses, and thermos,” he said, adding that they had earlier detected “signs of life” but had been unable to locate the couple and were now encountering smells of decay.

The Chinese family of five were all sharing a room on the second floor.

The daughter of victim Chiang Chen-chang, who was employed at the Beauty Stay Hotel, said she saw her father’s name on the missing persons list during her shift working at the emergency operation centre.

“I had to keep composed so I could carry on my work. It was only when I was alone that the emotions came,” Hsu Pao-yu said as she struggled to hold back tears.

Hualien is one of Taiwan’s most popular tourist destinations as it lies on the picturesque east coast rail line and near the popular Taroko Gorge.

The Hualien quake came exactly two years to the day after a similar sized tremor struck the western city of Tainan, killing 117 people — most in a single apartment block which collapsed.

Five people were later found guilty over the disaster, including the developer and two architects, for building an inadequate structure.

The island’s worst tremor in recent decades was a 7.6-magnitude quake in September 1999 that killed around 2,400 people.

That quake ushered in stricter building codes but many of Taiwan’s older buildings remain perilously vulnerable to even moderate quakes.

Agence France-Presse

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Other Latest News
Rohingya crisis result of society: Amnesty
LONDON: The crisis in Myanmar and reported massacres of Rohingya Muslims are the consequence of a society encouraged to hate and a lack of global leadership on human righ..
Palestinian killed in Israeli raid
TEL AVIV: A 33-year-old Palestinian man was killed early on Thursday by Israeli soldiers who are seen on a security camera video kicking and beating him with their rifles..
Ahmadinejad calls for immediate free elections
TEHRAN: Iran’s hardline former president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad called for the immediate holding of free presidential and parliamentary elections in a letter to supreme lead..
Iran to quit N-deal if no economic benefit
TEHRAN: Iran will withdraw from the 2015 nuclear deal if there is no economic benefit and major banks continue to shun the Islamic Republic, its deputy foreign minister s..
Egypt sentences 21 to death for planning attacks
CAIRO: An Egyptian court on Thursday sentenced 21 suspected extremists to death, including 16 in absentia, on charges of bomb making and planning attacks on public and pr..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright