Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 0 minute ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
S.Korea seeks US military drill delay for Olympics
December 21, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

SEOUL: South Korean President Moon Jae-In has proposed delaying major joint military exercises with the US until after next year’s Winter Olympics in his country, he said, with Pyongyang always infuriated by the show of force.

It was the first confirmation that Seoul is seeking to postpone the annual Key Resolve and Foal Eagle drills, which usually start in late February or early March and run until the end of April.

But South Korea will host the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang from Feb.9 to 25 next year, with the Paralympics scheduled to begin on March 9.

The host area is just 80 kilometres south of the tense border with nuclear-armed North Korea, and tensions tend to rise during the drills, which Pyongyang condemns as rehearsals for invasion.

Moon told US television channel NBC that the two allies were considering postponing the exercises.

“I have made such a proposal to the US and the US is now reviewing it,” he said on his way to Pyeongchang to promote the Games.

“However, it will all depend upon how North Korea will behave.”

He also expressed hopes the Olympics will help ease tension running high over the North’s relentless nuclear and missile tests.

Games organisers and Seoul are both keen for the North to take part in what they have proclaimed as a “peace Olympics,” but the North’s participation in sporting events in the South has largely depended on the political and military situation on the Korean peninsula.

Pyongyang has so far given no indication whether it will send its athletes − two pairs of figure skaters have qualified − to Pyeongchang.

Last month, the South’s Unification Minister Cho Myoung-Gyon warned the North could deliver a “fatal blow” to the Olympics if it launches a missile or stages another provocation before the event.

But Moon said: “Foreign tourists coming for the Pyeongchang Winter Games won’t need to worry about security. I don’t think North Korea will do anything that may undermine the Olympics.

“Everything is now in place and I hope these Olympics will serve as an opportunity to help ease tension with the North,” he added.

But conservative opposition parties reacted angrily, saying that delaying the drills would weaken the country’s defence.

Agence France-Presse

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Pence remarks were stupid: N.Korea
TOKYO: A top North Korean official says recent comments by US Vice President Mike Pence were "stupid" and "ignorant" and again warns the country is willing to pull out of..
‘Trump willing to walk away from N.Korea summit’
WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump is willing to walk away from an unprecedented summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un scheduled for next month, US Vice Presiden..
N.Korea casts doubt on Trump summit
SEOUL: North Korea threw next month’s summit between Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump into doubt on Wednesday, threatening weeks of diplomatic progress by saying..
US troops ‘will stay in S.Korea’
SEOUL: South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Wednesday dismissed claims that US troops stationed in the country would have to leave if a peace treaty was signed with the ..
North slams US censure on human rights
SEOUL:North Korea condemned US criticism of its human rights record as “ridiculous” as a diplomatic whirlwind accelerated ahead of leader Kim Jong Un’s summits with the S..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright