Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 26 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Two killed in Afghanistan suicide blast
July 22, 2014
 Print    Send to Friend

KABUL: A suicide bomber targeted a police convoy in Afghanistan’s southern Helmand province on Monday, killing two people, a policeman and a civilian, a local official said.

The attack took place in the Helmand provincial capital of Lashkar Gah, said Omar Zwak, the spokesman for the provincial governor.

He said the explosion also wounded 15 people — eight policemen and seven civilians.

The police convoy was en route to the district of Sangin for an operation there, he added.

No group claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Taliban frequently use roadside bombs and suicide attacks against Afghan and Nato forces and government offices in the country.

Last month, hundreds of Taliban insurgents attacked several Afghan security checkpoints in Sangin district.

After a week of intensive battles, more than 100 people were killed and dozens were displaced from their homes.

The government subsequently deployed nearly 2,000 reinforcements there. In southern Uruzgan province, four Afghan policemen were shot to death overnight at a checkpoint in Shahid Asass district, said Dost Mohammad Nayuib, spokesman for the Uruzgan governor.

The attackers were two other policemen from the same unit who fled the scene, said Nayuib.

Another policeman was wounded in the attack, he added.

It was not immediately clear what motivated the attack, which could be the latest incident of insider attacks in which Afghan security turn on their colleagues or Nato partners.

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Afghan Taliban announce start of ‘spring offensive’
Kabul: The Afghan Taliban launched their “spring offensive” Friday, heralding fresh fighting in the drawn-out conflict as embattled security forces struggle to recover fr..
Afghan defence minister, army chief quit over attack
KABUL: Afghanistan’s defence minister and army chief of staff resigned on Monday after the deadliest ever Taliban attack on a military base, and US Defence Secretary Jim ..
Afghan base attack death toll rises to 150
KABUL: More than 100 Afghan soldiers were killed and wounded in a co-ordinated Taliban attack on an army base in northern Afghanistan, the country’s defence ministry said..
Afghan ‘mother of all bombs’ claims over 90
KABUL: The number of militants killed in an attack by the largest non-nuclear weapon ever used in combat by the US military has risen to 94, an Afghan official said Satur..
Insurgents kill 13 Afghan security forces in separate attacks
KABUL: Insurgents have killed at least 13 Afghan security forces in separate attacks, officials said on Sunday, as the country struggles to contain a long-running Taliban..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright