Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 22 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
56 Yemen troops slain
September 21, 2013
 Print    Send to Friend

SANAA: Suspected Al Qaeda fighters killed at least 56 soldiers and policemen in a wave of dawn attacks on Friday, the deadliest day for Yemeni security forces since militant strongholds fell last year.

The militant assaults came in the southern province of Shabwa, a bastion of Al Qaeda and the scene of regular US drone attacks targeting insurgents.

Al Qaeda claimed the attacks in a statement posted on Internet forums.

Military and government officials said there were four attacks in all, including one on a key gas export terminal that was foiled.

Thirty-eight soldiers were killed in Friday’s deadliest single attack, on an army camp responsible for ensuring security at Shabwa oilfields, the sources said.

“Troops clashed with gunmen at the camp entrance, before a suicide attacker in a bomb-laden vehicle forced his way into the camp where his car exploded, killing 38 soldiers,” said a government official in Ataq.

Simultaneously, “a suicide bomber in a car blew himself up before reaching his target — an army checkpoint” in the nearby Al Nushaima area, a military official said, adding that 10 soldiers were killed in that blast.

In Maifaa, gunmen targeted a security forces camp, killing around eight policemen.

Agence France-Presse

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Obama invites GCC leaders in May
WASHINGTON: US President Barack Obama will meet leaders from the Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC) countries at the White House on May 13 and at the presidential retreat at..
Saudi says Yemen air raids very successful
SANAA: A Saudi-led air campaign against Houthi rebels in Yemen has been “very successful” and gone “beyond its goals,” Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to the United States said..
Quit occupied areas, UN tells Houthi rebels
UNITED NATIONS: The United Nations Security Council on Tuesday blacklisted the son of Yemen’s former president and a Houthi leader Ali Abdullah Saleh, and effectively imp..
Bahah naming to help issues: GCC
RIYADH: The Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC) has welcomed the decision of Yemeni President, Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, to appoint Khaled Bahah as Vice President. The GCC ..
Saudi snubs Iran on Yemen
ADEN/RIYADH: Saudi Arabia dismissed Iranian calls to end air strikes on neighbouring Yemen on Sunday as Saudi-led attacks hit a military camp in the Yemeni city of Taez. ..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright