Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 6 hours, 40 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Militants quit Syria village after deal
December 31, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

BEIRUT: Dozens of Syrian militants and their families departed aboard buses from an area besieged by government forces near the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights early Saturday, part of a deal to clear yet another district from insurgents.

The government-controlled Syrian Central Military Media said 153 people, including 106 fighters, left the village of Beit Jin early Saturday towards the southern province of Daraa.

The Ibaa news agency of the Al Qaida-linked Levant Liberation Committee said six buses carrying fighters and their families arrived in rebel-held parts of Daraa province.

On Friday, Syria’s state news agency Sana said some 300 Al Qaida-linked militants and their families would be sent to Daraa and the northwestern province of Idlib.

The evacuation allows the government to reassert control over Beit Jin near the Golan Heights that were captured by Israel from Syria during the 1967 Mideast war.

Separately, Syrian regime forces advanced against militants on Saturday on the edge of the northwestern province of Idlib, the last outside government control, a monitor and the state news agency said.

Government and allied forces backed by Russian warplanes have since Monday been fighting mostly militant fighters in an area straddling the border between Idlib and Hama provinces.

The fighting, which could signal the start of a major offensive to seize Idlib province from rebels dominated by a former Al Qaeda affiliate, escalated on Thursday.

On Saturday, regime troops advanced, seizing several villages and surrounding areas, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based war monitor, said.

Sana said regime forces had taken control of five villages, areas and “strategic hills” in the northeast of Hama province.

A correspondent said civilians continued to flee areas near the battle zone, heading north towards the provincial capital of Idlib with their belongings piled high on pick-up trucks.

“We were the target of strikes more than once -- we couldn’t stay,” said Abu Ahmed, a man in his sixties from the southeast of Idlib province, fleeing with his family in a pickup.

“I don’t know how to say how I feel, leaving my land and home at my age. We are leaving without even knowing where we’re headed.”

In the Maaret Al Numan area, some people have put up tents, pots and pans piled at the entrance flaps.

“We escaped for the sake of the children. They were terrified by air raids and strikes,” said Abu Khaled, a bearded man in his thirties wearing a red and white checkered keffiyeh headscarf.

The father-of-four, originally from Hama province, had already fled once with his family -- to Idlib, where they lived in a camp for the displaced.

The forces of Syrian General Suheil Hassan, on the front lines of the battle against the Daesh militant group in the east of the country, are leading the Idlib offensive, the Observatory said.

“After finishing off Daesh, the regime’s forces are concentrating their operations on Idlib’s militants,” Abdel Rahman said.

Since Thursday, the clashes have killed 32 soldiers and allied members of paramilitary units, as well as 29 rebels from militant groups or from former Al Qaeda affiliate Fateh Al Sham, the Observatory said.

Twenty-one civilians have also died.

Government forces’ first aim to take control of the southeast of Idlib province, Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said.

Agence France-Presse

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Award-winning Syrian novelist passes away
DAMASCUS: Award-winning Syrian novelist Hanna Mineh, known in his war-torn country as the father of the modern novel, died on Tuesday aged 94, state media said. The pr..
UN ‘hampering’ Syria reconstruction
MOSCOW: Russia’s foreign minister on Monday accused the UN of hampering the reconstruction of war-torn Syria, as the Moscow-backed Syrian regime calls on refugees to retu..
Funding shortage threatens WHO’s response in Syria
GENEVA: As the conflict in northwest Syria escalates, WHO is appealing for $11 million to provide life-saving healthcare to people in parts of Aleppo, Hama, Idlib, and La..
US raises $300m for Syria stabilisation
WASHINGTON: The United States said on Friday it had secured $300 million from coalition partners to help stabilise parts of Syria retaken from Daesh, after President Dona..
US-backed forces repel Daesh attack in eastern Syria
BEIRUT: US-backed forces have repelled a raid by the Daesh group targeting barracks housing American and French troops in eastern Syria, the Syrian Observatory for Human ..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright