Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
Last updated 10 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
No trace of militants in Uri army camp: Police
February 12, 2019
 Print    Send to Friend

SRINAGAR: A guard at an army camp in Jammu and Kashmir’s Uri opened fire following suspicious movement nearby, police said on Monday, confirming that there has been no counter-firing by militants and refuting media reports of a terror attack.

A sentry at the Rajarwani camp in the border town fired in speculation. There was no counter firing by any militant, Senior Superintendent of Police in Baramulla, Syed Imtiyaz Hussain, said.

“The area has been surrounded and searches are being carried out to ascertain whether there is any militant presence,” Hussain added.

Earlier a police spokesman also said: “There has been no attack and no fire from the other side. Just speculative firing by a sentry seeing suspicious movement. No confirmation of any militant as of now.”

During the night, the sentry of Army Artillery unit at Rajarwani detected some suspicious movement around the camp and opened the fire. Two men were later spotted in a nearby drain during a search operation.

Army and police personnel were checking out the antecedents. Meanwhile, a separatist-called shutdown on Monday in the Kashmir Valley to mark the 35th death anniversary of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) founder, Maqbool Bhat, has paralysed life across the region.

Bhat was executed in the Tihar Jail on this day in 1984. He was buried inside the prison premises.

The shutdown was called by the Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL), a separatist conglomerate headed by Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik, reiterating their demand to handover Bhat’s remains to his family.

Shops and business establishments remained shut in Srinagar and other major cities and towns of the valley. Public transportation was suspended.

Authorities made heavy security deployment in law and other order sensitive places including Trehgam, Bhat’s hometown in Kupwara district.

Indian and Pakistani armies on Monday traded fire on the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch district.

Defence Ministry sources said the firing exchanges started around 10.30 a.m. after the Pakistanis resorted to unprovoked firing targeting Indian positions.

“Our troops retaliated strongly and effectively after the Pakistan Army used small arms and automatics to target Indian positions in Kerni and some other sectors,” an official said. “Intermittent firing exchanges were going on between the two sides,” the official said.

Indo-Asian News Service

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Post a comment
Related Stories
Two masterminds of J-K bombing killed
NEW DELHI: Indian security forces have shot and killed the mastermind of Thursday’s Pulwama terror attack that claimed 40 soldiers, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) con..
J-K scraps security of separatist leaders
JAMMU: The Jammu and Kashmir authorities on Sunday decided to withdraw the security cover of five separatist leaders, including Mirwaiz Umer Farooq. “A decision has been..
First successful child heart valve replacement surgery done in J-K
SRINAGAR: Doctors at the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) in Jammu and Kashmir’s summer capital Srinagar have carried out the first successful child h..
After decades, Kashmir relives its snowed-in winter
SRINAGAR: Kashmir’s winter this season has been something children had heard from their grandparents, but never experienced before. Over metre-long icicles hanging fro..
5 civilians, 2 CRPF troopers injured in grenade attack
SRINAGAR: Five civilians and two Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers were injured in a grenade attack by militants on Thursday in Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag to..
Advertise | Copyright