Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 24 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Nadal back in business after injury layoff with victory in Brazil Open
February 19, 2013
 Print    Send to Friend

SAO PAULO: Rafael Nadal showed he is back in business by clinching his first title since ending a seven-month knee injury layoff, winning the Brazil Open on Sunday.

The Spanish former world number one, who has yet to fully shrug off the lingering effects of his knee problems, beat Argentina’s David Nalbandian 6-2, 6-3 in 78 minutes.

Currently the world number five, Nadal went on the attack from the start, breaking his opponent’s service before racing to take the first set.

The 31-year-old Nalbandian, a former world number three who now languishes at 93 in the ATP rankings, fought back early in the second set but Nadal came from behind to win, sparking wild cheers from the crowd.

The Spaniard pocketed a check for $82,300 for his win and thanked the public for “the great support” he received throughout the tournament. Nadal was the top seed in this $455,775 tournament, his second comeback event following his long absence.

He competed in the Vina del Mar Open in Chile earlier this month, losing the singles and doubles finals last Sunday.

“It’s a great title and important for me,” said the 26-year-old.

“Yesterday (during the semi-final) the knee hurt. Today it’s better, rather bearable. I am happy to win in Brazil for the second time.”

The world number five, who has 11 Grand Slam titles under his belt, first won the event in 2005, when it was held in Costa do Sauipe in eastern Bahia state.

Asked about his future plans, Nadal, who now has 37 claycourt titles in a 51-trophy career haul, replied: “I am going to think about Acapulco (later this month) and nothing else.”

As to whether he feels confident enough now to compete against the world’s top three of Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Andy Murray, Nadal said: “We are going to see how the knee responds and then take stock.”

“I don’t have any problem playing against better rivals because I accept that I can lose. Losing is not a problem for me,” added Nadal, whose last title was his record-breaking seventh French Open victory in June.

Considered by many to be the best ever claycourt player, Nadal was back on the court in Chile earlier this month for the first time since suffering a surprise second-round exit at Wimbledon in June.

Since then he had been sidelined by a torn tendon and inflammation in his left knee, with his return this year further delayed by a stomach virus.

His absence ruled him out of the Olympics, the US Open as well as January’s Australian Open.

Earlier Sunday, Brazilian Bruno Soares teamed up with Austrian Alexander Peya to win the Sao Paulo doubles final against Frantisek  Cermak of the Czech Republic and Slovak Michal Mertinak 6-7 (5/7), 6-2, 10-7.

Nadal jumps to No.5

Rafael Nadal remains in fifth place in the latest ATP rankings released on Monday.

The Spanish former world number one, who has yet to fully shrug off the lingering effects of his knee problems, beat Argentina’s David Nalbandian 6-2, 6-3 in Sao Paulo for Sunday’s title.

World No.1 Novak Djokovic retains his comfortable lead over

Agence France-Presse

 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Britain’s Robson to miss Wimbledon, French Open
LONDON: British women’s number one Laura Robson will miss the French Open and Wimbledon after having surgery on her wrist, the 20-year-old announced on Thursday. Robso..
Eight-time champ Nadal knocked out of Monte Carlo
Monaco: David Ferrer produced a major upset at the Monte Carlo Masters as the persistent Spaniard stunned eight-time champion Rafael Nadal 7-6 (7/1), 6-4 in the quarter-f..
Nadal passes clay landmark with 300th win to advance in Monte Carlo Masters
Monaco: Top seed Rafael Nadal finished with a clean ace on match point to seal his 300th career victory on clay and advance into the quarter-finals of the Monte Carlo Mas..
Top seed Nadal and Federer rush to quick victories in Monte Carlo
Monaco: Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer rushed into the third round at the Monte Carlo Masters on Wednesday, with both posting quick opening victories. Top seed Nadal, ..
Djokovic storms into 3rd round of Monte Carlo Masters
MONTE CARLO: Novak Djokovic stormed into the third round of the Monte Carlo Masters as the defending champion won his 11th straight match of the season 6-1, 6-0 over Albe..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright