Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 1 hour, 0 minute ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Massive blackout affects 25m Mindanao residents
By Manolo B. Jara February 28, 2014
 Print    Send to Friend

MANILA: A massive power failure hit restive Mindanao at dawn on Thursday and caught by surprise many of the estimated 25 million residents who were preparing to go either for work and school or open their businesses.

More than five hours after the lights went out, the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP), the agency responsible for the nationwide distribution of power, admitted they have yet to determine the cause.

The blackout, the NGCP said, affected 12 key cities and provinces in Mindanao which has been experiencing annual power shortages because they depend mostly on hydroelectricity.

But the NGCP later announced that power has been restored in most of Mindanao at noon on Thursday especially in the key cities like Davao and Cagayan de Oro.

The NGCP announcement, however, was doubted by many residents who flooded local and Metro Manila-based radio stations with complaints that the lights again went out 30 minutes or an hour after power have been restored.

“Reports indicate that the Mindanao grid experienced a disturbance at 3:53am on Thursday. We are still determining the cause and extent of the disturbance,” the NGP earlier said in a statement.

This developed as Secretary Jericho Petilla of the Department of Energy also acknowledged that the exact cause of the massive power failure have not been traced.

“So far,” Petilla said, “there are no reports of damaged power plants. They are ready to come back online to the grid. We just have to turn them on one by one.”

He confirmed the NGCP announcement that power has been restored in about 70 percent of the affected areas.

Petilla also assured that steps have been taken prevent a repetition of the blackout that adversely affected the estimated 25 million Mindanao residents who represent a quarter of the total 100 million Filipinos.

One of those affected was Tek Ocampo, the GMA News correspondent, who disclosed that the power failure occurred while his father-in-law was confined in a government hospital in Davao City.

“He was connected to a ventilator and when the lights went out, we were forced to resort to manual pumping to operate the ventilator,” Ocampo told GMA News.

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Evacuations as Typhoon Yutu strikes Philippines
MANILA: Typhoon Yutu slammed into the Philippines on Tuesday with fierce winds that sheared off roofs and snapped trees, after thousands were evacuated ahead of the power..
Philippines opens cleaner Boracay to tourists
Boracay: Tourists landed by the boatload Friday on the Philippines’ Boracay island, which re-opened with a slew of new rules after a six-month shutdown aimed at undoing t..
Philippines to reopen Boracay after clean up
Manila: The Philippines reopens its crown jewel resort island Boracay to holidaymakers on Friday, after a six-month clean up aimed at repairing the damage inflicted by ye..
2 terrorists killed in Mindanao operation
MANILA: At least two members of the Abu Sayyaf terror group were killed in operations launched by government forces on the island province of Sulu in Mindanao, according ..
UN envoy accepts Duterte’s offer to head foreign office
MANILA: The country’s permanent representative to the United Nations on Friday confirmed he has accepted the offer of President Rodrigo “Rody” Duterte to head the Departm..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright