Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 2 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Volcanic ash keeps Bali airport shut
November 29, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

KARANGASEM: Evacuation centres and hotels in Bali filled up Tuesday with tens of thousands seeking refuge as a volcano on the Indonesian resort island threatened to erupt, forcing the closure of the main airport for a second day.

Stranded tourists hunted for accommodation while frightened villagers living in Mount Agung’s shadow made their way to more than 200 evacuation centres as the mountain gushed smoke and ash.

The rumbling volcano − which last erupted in 1963 killing around 1,600 people − forced Indonesian authorities to close Bali’s airport for a second day on Tuesday as experts raised the alert level to maximum.

Towering columns of thick grey smoke have been rising from the mountain since last week, and in the last few days have begun shooting into the sky, forcing all flights to be grounded until at least Wednesday morning.

Ash is dangerous for planes as it makes runways slippery and can be sucked into their engines.

Officials have warned that the volcano, which looms over the tropical holiday paradise, could erupt at any moment.

Some 40,000 people have abandoned their homes in the danger zone but as many as many as 100,000 will likely be forced to leave, disaster agency officials have said.

“Volcanic ash is still spewing. It’s thick and rising very high − up to three or four kilometres from the crater,” said I Gede Suantika, an official at Indonesia’s volcanology agency.

The exclusion zone around Agung, which is 75 kilometres from the beach side tourist hub of Kuta, has also been widened to 10 kilometres.

As of Tuesday some 443 flights had been cancelled, affecting more than 120,000 passengers in Bali, a top holiday destination that attracts millions of foreign tourists every year.

Inn operator I Wayan Yastina Joni was among the few hoteliers willing to take up an appeal by Bali’s governor and tourism agency to supply free rooms to thousands of out-of-luck visitors, though some offered discounts.

“I don’t mind giving free accommodation for tourists I already know,” said the owner of the Pondok Denayu Homestay.

“This is nobody’s fault. It’s a natural disaster that no one expected,” he added.

Hundreds of tourists are being shuttled to Indonesia’s second city Surabaya, about 13 hours’ drive away, so they can fly out of the country.

“We are preparing 10 buses and more can likely be provided later today,” Bali Transportation Agency Head Agung Sudarsana said earlier on Tuesday.

The airport on nearby Lombok island − also a popular tourist destination east of Bali − has opened and closed several times in the past few days. It is currently open but may yet be shuttered again, officials said.

Mount Agung’s last eruption in the early sixties was one of the deadliest ever seen in a country with nearly 130 active volcanoes.

“I am very worried because I have experienced this before,” 67-year-old evacuee Dewa Gede Subagia, who was a teenager when Agung last roared, said.

“I hope this time I won’t have to evacuate for too long. In 1963, I left for four months.” Experts said however that Agung’s recent activity matches the build-up to the earlier disaster, which ejected enough debris − about a billion tonnes − to lower global average temperatures by 0.2 - 0.3ºC for about a year.

“What we are seeing at the moment are small explosions, throwing out hot gases and fragments of molten rock, or ash,” said David Pyle, a volcano expert at Oxford University.

Agence France-Presse

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Indonesia arrests ex-rebel governor in Aceh over graft
JAKARTA: Indonesia’s anti-corruption agency has arrested the governor of Aceh province over accusations that he took illegal fees for projects funded from more than $500 ..
Scores dead or missing in Indonesia ferry accident
JAKARTA: Some 70 people are dead or missing after a ferry ran aground off the coast of Indonesia, according to an updated official toll on Wednesday, the latest deadly ma..
Indonesia votes in presidential elections
DEPOK: Tens of millions of Indonesian voters headed to the polls under tight security on Wednesday to cast ballots in regional elections across the world’s third-largest ..
Jakarta identifies suspected location of sunken ferry
JAKARTA: Indonesia’s search and rescue team has located the sunken ferry in Sumatra’s Lake Toba, an official said on Sunday, after the vessel sank in a bad weather nearly..
Man killed by his mother’s falling funeral coffin
Makassar (Indonesia): An Indonesian was killed when his mother’s coffin fell from a funeral tower and crushed him during a service on the island of Sulawesi, police said ..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright