Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
Last updated 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
Police investigate London helicopter crash
January 20, 2013
 Print    Send to Friend

LONDON: Official causes of death have been released for the two men killed in a helicopter crash in central London.

Pilot Pete Barnes, 50, died from multiple injuries, while pedestrian Matthew Wood, 39, suffered severe burns and a leg injury, Scotland Yard said.

Post-mortem examinations were carried out at Greenwich Mortuary after the men died in the incident on Wednesday.

Police say they are working with the Air Accidents Investigation Branch and Civil Aviation Authority and an inquest is expected to open in due course.

Wood’s sister earlier told Sky News he was a “big guy with a big heart.”

He was walking to work as a pest control manager when he was killed after the aircraft hit a crane on The Tower in St George Wharf in Vauxhall.

Amanda Wood added he was a “gentle giant” who had been looking forward to planning his 40th birthday in April.

Chris Barnes, 55, paid tribute to his pilot brother Peter, describing him as a “good guy.”

He said it would have been his “instinct” to do whatever he could to minimise casualties.

Cordons and road closures remained in place around the scene of the crash as work continued to remove the wreckage of the crane.

Barnes, the dead piliot, was one of the country’s most experienced and had flown in films such as Die Another Day and Saving Private Ryan.

Barnes had amassed around 12,000 hours of flying time, including 3,500 hours in Agusta helicopters.

During his 18-year career as a pilot the 50-year-old had flown air ambulances and worked as a pilot on adverts and films such as James Bond’s Die Another Day, Saving Private Ryan and Tomb Raider II.A teenager from Huddersfield has paid tribute to the pilot.Callum Parkinson, 17, said he owed his life to Barnes, who flew the Yorkshire Air Ambulance to his rescue in 2009.Barnes has been described by colleagues as “one of the best.”Ironically, Amanda Wood had her home burgled while she mourned her brother’s death with her family.Amanda Wood, who returned on Thursday night to find her back door kicked in and her drawers raided for jewellery, said: “It’s horrible. It has been the worst week of my life.”She said she was at her brother Darren’s house “so the family could all be in one place to give each other support” at the time her home in Carshalton, Surrey, was raided. A neighbour called her to inform her of the burglary.


Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Post a comment
Related Stories
Miss Scarborough contest ends in a punch-up
LONDON: Police were called to the Miss Scarborough beauty contest after a fight broke out when supporters of one of the contestants claimed the competition was a fix. ..
Top policeman vows to catch Fletcher killer
LONDON: Britain’s top police chief said on Thursday he remained determined to catch the killer of policewoman Yvonne Fletcher, exactly 30 years on since she was shot dead..
Coulson admits hearing hacked conversation
LONDON: Andy Coulson, the former media chief to British Prime Minister David Cameron, told a London court on Wednesday he had listened to a recording of hacked voicemail ..
Coulson says he played no part in Dowler’s phone hacking
LONDON: Former Rupert Murdoch editor Andy Coulson told a London court on Tuesday he had not been involved in illegally tapping into the mobile phone messages of murdered ..
UN’s access to immigration centre ‘denied’
LONDON: A United Nations (UN) investigator has revealed she was blocked from entering a controversial immigration detention centre for women during a visit to the UK. ..
Advertise | Copyright