Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Save Idlib from humanitarian nightmare: UN
September 13, 2018
 Print    Send to Friend

NEW YORK: A full-scale battle for Idlib must be avoided at all costs, the United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has stressed, warning that failure to do so would unleash “a humanitarian nightmare unlike any seen in the blood-soaked Syrian conflict” so far.

Speaking to the press at UN Headquarters in New York on Tuesday afternoon, Guterres said that the situation in Idlib is not sustainable and underscored that the presence of terrorist groups sheltering in the enclave cannot be tolerated.

“But fighting terrorism does not absolve warring parties of their core obligations under international law,” he added. Idlib must not be transformed into a blood bath, UN chief Guterres said.

“Preserve basic services and hospitals. Ensure full respect for international humanitarian law,” he urged.

The UN chief also cautioned against any use of chemical weapons, warning that, beyond the immediate human toll, such use would lead to the situation “spiralling out of control.”

He highlighted the urgent need for greater progress in the Geneva process, and the creation of a constitutional committee as part of the overall political package.

“There is no military solution to the conflict. The solution must be political,” Guterres concluded.

WAM

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
UAE aid to Syria reaches Dhs3.59b
ABU DHABI: UAE foreign assistance to Syria reached Dhs3.59 billion from 2012 to the beginning of 2019, according to the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International ..
UAE continues to help displaced Syrians in Lebanon
BEIRUT: The UAE Embassy in Lebanon has launched the second phase of the UAE Response Campaign for Displaced Syrians “Winter 2019 - Lebanon”, to provide food supplies, bla..
Five US soldiers, others killed in bomb attack in Syria
ISTANBUL: Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said 20 people were killed in the bomb attack in northern Syria on Wednesday, including five US troops. A US official had ea..
American forces begin to withdraw from Syrian areas
Hasakeh: The US-led coalition in Syria has begun withdrawing its troops, a spokesman said on Friday, less than a month after US President Donald Trump announced the shock..
US troop pullout from Syria will happen: Pompeo
CAIRO: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday that a full US troop withdrawal from Syria announced by President Donald Trump last month will go ahead despite wid..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright