Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 15 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Yemenis, Iranians sue US State Dept over immigration
August 06, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

NEW YORK: Dozens of Yemenis and Iranians who won the chance to immigrate to the United States sued the US State Department on Friday for not processing their visa applications after President Donald Trump’s temporary travel ban was reinstated.

The ban, which was blocked by lower courts before being partially reinstated by the Supreme Court in June, temporarily bars citizens of Yemen, Iran and four other Muslim-majority countries with no “bona fide” US connections from travelling to the United States.

The Supreme Court ruling sharply limited the number of people affected by the ban.

However, thousands of citizens of the six countries who won a randomised US government lottery last year to apply for a so-called green card — granting them permanent residence in the United States — were left in limbo.

A recent email from the US government to lottery winners still awaiting their visas warned “it is plausible that your case will not be issuable” due to the 90-day travel ban.

In the lawsuit filed in the US District Court in Washington DC, more than 90 Yemeni and Iranian lottery winners said the US government was refusing to issue their visas — won under the “diversity visa” programme — because of the travel ban.

The US State Department declined to comment on pending litigation.

In the lawsuit, the winners asked the government to process their visa applications before Sept. 30, which is when their eligibility for green cards expires.

Reuters
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Yemen central bank nearly doubles interest rate
ADEN: Yemen’s central bank, based in territory controlled by its exiled government, nearly doubled its interest rate on Wednesday in an effort to stabilise the riyal afte..
Coalition launches series of attacks on Hodeida
ADEN: Saudi-backed government forces in Yemen launched a series of attacks on rebel-held Hodeida, military officials said on Tuesday. The coalition said it had resumed..
UN to airlift Yemen civilians for treatment
GENEVA: The UN humanitarian aid agency said it’s agreed with the rebel-run government in the capital of war-torn Yemen on a “medical air bridge” to evacuate civilians for..
Pressure on Houthis vital for Yemen peace: UAE
NEW YORK: Ambassador Lana Zaki Nusseibeh, UAE’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations in New York, has reiterated and reinforced her country’s commitment to a UN..
Coalition detects evidence of rebels’ burning of petrol station
HODEIDAH: The Saudi-led Arab Coalition has detected evidence of the burning by the Houthi militia of a petrol station and warehouse for the storage of relief supplies in ..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright