Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 18 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Organisers defend circuit after 2nd death at Macau GP
November 17, 2012
 Print    Send to Friend

HONG KONG: Organisers of the Macau Grand Prix on Friday defended the event after a second fatality in two days claimed the life of a driver in the CTM Macau Touring Car Cup, raising questions about track safety.

Organisers identified the victim as 40-year-old Hong Kong driver Phillip Yau but they could provide no details about how the accident happened.

Yau “succumbed to injuries sustained in a racing accident during the qualifying session this afternoon”, the organisers said in a brief statement.

He was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead about 30 minutes later, they said.

“Unfortunately it is not very pleasant to have two accidents in two days,” Macau Grand Prix committee coordinator Joao Manuel Costa Antunes told a press conference after the incident.

“But every track has challenges and the track of Macau as a street circuit presents challenges that all the drivers have the opportunity to learn,” Antunes said.

“I don’t think there is any question about the track,” he said, adding that it has existed for 60 years and is approved every year by the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA).

“We don’t consider suspending any races,” he said.

The Macau Grand Prix covers four days of events including the 12-lap CTM Macau Touring Car Cup and the 46th Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix on Saturday, followed by Sunday’s SJM Formula Three Macau Grand Prix.

Hong Kong television reported that Yau died after after losing control of his Chevrolet Cruze and hitting a wall at more than 200 kilometres an hour.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Rossi, Lorenzo to renew battle for second place
SEPANG: Valentino Rossi holds the edge over his Yamaha teammate Jorge Lorenzo in the battle for second place in the world championship as the MotoGP season heads to Sepan..
Alonso leaving Ferrari, confirms De Montezemolo
London: Spaniard Fernando Alonso is leaving Ferrari because he “can’t wait much longer” if he wants to win another world title, outgoing Ferarri chief Luca de Montezemolo..
Jimenez seeks fifth title as Colsaerts eyes Race to Dubai spot
Hong Kong: Miguel Angel Jimenez is bidding for a record-breaking fifth Hong Kong Open title this week but faces stiff competition from a stellar field including major win..
McDowell all set to defend World Match Play title
London: Defending champion Graeme McDowell goes up against in-form Dutchman Joost Luiten, Mikko Illonen of Finland and the winner of last week’s Portugal Masters, Alexand..
Double delight for Mercedes
SOCHI: Lewis Hamilton cruised to victory in the inaugural Russian Grand Prix on Sunday, leading a 1-2 finish for Mercedes that clinched its first Formula One constructors..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright