Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 4 hours, 27 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Civilians among dozens of casualties in Libya clashes
October 04, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

TRIPOLI: At least five civilians were killed and 12 others wounded among dozens of casualties comprised mostly of combatants in recent fighting in the west Libyan migrant smuggling hub of Sabratha, the United Nations said on Monday.

Sabratha’s university hospital has twice been hit by shelling, rendering the emergency and surgery units unusable, the UN Libya mission said in a statement.

The clashes have pitted the Anas Al Dabbashi brigade, an armed group previously known for migrant smuggling, against the Operations Room to combat the Islamic State, a group formed last year to oust militants from Sabratha.

The fighting broke out when a Dabbashi brigade member was shot dead at a checkpoint, but the brigade’s head has said the underlying cause was the group’s move to stop the departure of migrant boats to Italy following a deal with the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli.

Both sides have links to the GNA, and both said on Monday they were complying with a ceasefire announced by the GNA’s chief of staff.

The fighting had led to fears of a wider escalation, with the eastern-based Libyan National Army, a force loyal to powerful military commander Khalifa Haftar and opposed to the GNA, saying it backed the Operations Room.

Sabratha, about 70 km west of Tripoli, had been the most common departure point for migrants setting off towards Italy from Libya, until a sudden drop in crossings from July.

The health ministry in Tripoli said on Friday that, overall, at least 26 people including combatants had been killed and 170 wounded in nearly two weeks of fighting.

Reuters
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Libyan workers uncover 35 more bodies at mass grave
TRIPOLI: Emergency workers on Sunday uncovered another 35 bodies at a mass grave near Libya’s Sirte, authorities said, taking to 110 the total number of remains retrieved..
Scores freed from militia-run Libya prison
TRIPOLI: Libya’s internationally recognised government on Thursday announced the release of 83 prisoners from a jail where the United Nations has documented torture and s..
Guards shut airport at Libyan Wafa oilfield: NOC
TRIPOLI: Libyan state guards have closed the airport of the southwestern Wafa oilfield, co-owned by Italy’s ENI, state oil firm NOC said on Thursday. The operator will..
Rivals clash near Tripoli, causing blackouts
TRIPOLI: New clashes flared between rival militias south of Libya’s capital Tripoli on Tuesday, causing widespread power outages, the national electricity firm said. T..
Attack on Libyan oil firm headquarters claims two lives
TRIPOLI: Armed men on Monday stormed the headquarters of Libya’s National Oil Company (NOC) in Tripoli killing at least two people, officials said, as witnesses spoke of ..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright