Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 4 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Stalemate in nuke talks must end, says Salehi
December 18, 2012
 Print    Send to Friend

TEHRAN: Iran’s foreign minister said on Monday that it was time to end the country’s long standoff with world powers over its disputed nuclear programme.

“The parties have reached a conclusion that they must exit the current deadlock,” Ali Akbar Salehi told the ISNA news agency.

The six major powers engaging Iran over its nuclear work said in late November they wanted to soon hold a new round of talks with Tehran.

Iran is yet to make any official comment on the request.

Their last round of talks in June yielded no breakthrough in Moscow, as Iran rejected a proposal by world powers to suspend part of its programme and asked for a more substantial sanctions relief in return.

Salehi said he had “no information” when the next round would take place, but expressed hope that negotiations would continue.

His comments came days after Iran and the UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency wrapped up talks in Tehran over a “structured approach” for the Islamic republic to address allegations of weaponisation.

In an interview with Iran’s Arabic-language Al Alam satellite network, top lawmaker Aladin Boroujerdi hinted that the next round of talks with the so-called P5”1 — the United States, Russia, China, France, Germany and Britain — would be held after negotiations with the IAEA on Jan. 16.

“Based on the IAEA meeting, we will talk with the West and discuss details for negotiations with the P5+1,” said Boroujerdi, who heads parliament’s foreign policy commission, the Fars news agency reported.

Decisions on Iran’s nuclear programme rest with Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, whose representative Saeed Jalili at Iran’s Supreme National Security Council handles talks with world powers.

Jalili’s office has not made any comments on the P5+1’s latest offer of talks.

Western powers accuse Iran of seeking to acquire a weapons capability under the guise of its nuclear energy programme.

Iran denies the charge, saying its work is for peaceful purposes only.

US envoy to IAEA Robert Wood warned on Nov. 29 that Washington would push for the agency’s board to refer Iran to the UN Security Council if Tehran displays no “substantive co-operation” with the agency by March.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Iran hits out at Kerry’s military action threats
TEHRAN: Iran hit out on Friday against US Secretary of State John Kerry, accusing him of threatening military action against Tehran if it fails to respect a historic nucl..
Rouhani hails nuclear deal, chides critics
TEHRAN: President Hassan Rouhani defended a nuclear deal criticised by Iran’s conservatives, arguing on Thursday that the agreement reflected the nation’s will and was “m..
Iran parliament sets up panel to review deal
TEHRAN: Iranian lawmakers set up a special committee to review the landmark nuclear deal reached with world powers last week after the country’s foreign minister earlier ..
Nuclear deal critics wooed, Iran leader urges caution
TEHRAN: Washington and London sought on Thursday to ease concerns over the Iran nuclear accord as the country’s supreme leader warned that major powers are not to be trus..
Iraq hails N-deal as a ‘common will’ to defeat Daesh
BAGHDAD: Iran’s nuclear deal with world powers is a sign of a common will to end conflict in the region and defeat the Daesh group, Iraq’s premier said on Wednesday. “..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright