Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 3 hours, 19 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
US soldier faces sanity review over Afghan killings
March 18, 2013
 Print    Send to Friend

SEATTLE: A US soldier charged with killing 16 civilians, most of them women and children, near his Army post in Afghanistan is set to undergo a medical review on Sunday to determine his state of mind at the time of the killings and ability to stand trial.

The review, known in the military as a “sanity board,” will be conducted by three doctors at the Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington state, and will be completed by May 1, according to a US Army spokesman.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Robert Bales, a decorated veteran of four combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan who is accused of gunning down the villagers in cold blood during two rampages through their family compounds in Kandahar province last March.

Army prosecutors say Bales, a 39-year old father of two, acted alone and with “chilling premeditation” when, armed with a pistol, a rifle and a grenade launcher, he left his base twice in the night, returning in the middle of his rampage to tell a fellow soldier: “I just shot up some people.”

The shootings marked the worst case of civilian slaughter blamed on a rogue US soldier since the Vietnam War and further eroded strained US-Afghan relations after more than a decade of conflict in that country. Defence lawyers have not set out an alternative theory of what happened on the night of the shootings, but have focused on Bales’ fragile mental state.

Bales’ lead civilian attorney John Henry Browne said in January that government documents showed Bales had been diagnosed as suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and a brain injury before his deployment in Afghanistan in 2011.

Reuters

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Gates criticises Obama’s Afghan war strategy
WASHINGTON: Former defence secretary Robert Gates has delivered a scathing critique of President Barack Obama’s handling of the war in Afghanistan in a revealing new memo..
US soldier in Afghan massacre ‘worst kind of criminal’
WASHINGTON: A US army sergeant who killed 16 Afghan villagers during a rampage is “worst kind of criminal” and should spend the rest of his life behind bars, a prosecutor..
US diplomat’s body being flown to Chicago
WASHINGTON: The body of an American diplomat who was among those killed in a terrorist attack in southern Afghanistan is being brought to the US, Pentagon sources said on..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright