Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 8 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
US-backed Syrian forces battle to take last Daesh pocket
February 12, 2019
 Print    Send to Friend

DAMASCUS (Syria): Syrian fighters backed by artillery fire from a US-led coalition battled a fierce militant counteroffensive as they pushed to retake a last morsel of territory from the Daesh group in an assault lasting days.

A war monitor said a coalition air strike killed 16 civilians including seven children trying to flee the holdout on Monday, but the US-led alliance was not immediately available for comment.

More than four years after the extremists declared a "caliphate" across large parts of Syria and neighbouring Iraq, several offensives have whittled that down to a tiny scrap of land in eastern Syria.

The final push to expel hundreds of diehard militants from that patch on the Iraq border was announced Saturday by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

On Monday the US-led coalition maintained a steady beat of bombings on the area as the SDF faced ferocious resistance.

The sound of explosions echoed dozens of kilometres (miles) away and columns of dark grey smoke could be seen from SDF territory.

"Heavy clashes are ongoing to pressure Daesh into surrendering," said Rami Abdel Rahman, chief of Britain-based monitor the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

The Observatory said 12 SDF fighters and 19 militants were killed in the fighting on Monday.

SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali said the force responded after Daesh launched a counterattack earlier in the day. He also said there were "dozens of SDF hostages held by Daesh" inside their last foothold, but denied reports of executions.

US President Donald Trump said on Monday that the coalition may declare victory over Daesh in the region in the coming days.

"Our brave warriors have liberated virtually 100 per cent of ISIS (territory) in Iraq and Syria... soon it will be announced, soon, maybe over the next week, maybe less, but it will be announced we have 100 per cent," he told a rally in the US city of El Paso.

French women

Backed by coalition air strikes, the SDF alliance has been battling to oust the militants from the eastern province of Deir Ezzor since September.

Since December, tens of thousands of people, most women and children related to Daesh fighters, have fled the shrinking jihadist holdout into SDF territory.

US-backed forces have screened the new arrivals, weeding out potential militants for questioning.

On Monday, dozens of coalition and SDF fighters were stationed at a screening point for new arrivals from Daesh areas.

Coalition forces stood over about 20 men who were crouching on the ground.

Two French women told AFP they paid smugglers to take them out of the battered Daesh-held holdout of Baghouz, but Iraqi militants had prevented other foreigners from leaving.

"They said only the Syrians and Iraqis can be smuggled out," said one of the women, who said her first name was Christelle, from the city of Bordeaux.

The Observatory said 600 people including around 20 suspected militants fled Daesh areas overnight.

On Saturday, the alliance had said up to 600 militants as well as hundreds of civilians could remain inside the Daesh patch of four square kilometres (one square mile).

Spokesman Bali said Daesh leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the man who pronounced the cross-border "caliphate" in 2014, was not among them, and likely not in Syria.

Planned US withdrawal

At the height of their rule, Daesh imposed their brutal interpretation of Islamic law on a territory roughly the size of Britain.

But military offensives in both countries, including by the SDF, have since retaken the vast bulk of their territory.

The militants however retain a presence in Syria's vast Badia desert, and have claimed a series of deadly attacks in SDF-held areas.

Trump in December shocked Washington's allies by announcing a full withdrawal of US troops from Syria as Daesh had been "beaten".

But the US military warned in a report published this month that Daesh "could likely resurge in Syria within six to 12 months and regain limited territory" if sustained pressure is not maintained.

Trump's decision to withdraw US troops has left Syria's Kurds scrambling for safeguards.

A US departure makes them more vulnerable to a long threatened attack by neighbouring Turkey, which considers Kurdish fighters to be "terrorists", and dashes their dreams of autonomy.

The Kurds have largely stayed out of Syria's nearly eight-year civil war, instead building their own semi-autonomous institutions in the northeast of the country.

But the expected US pullout has seen them grappling to mend ties with the Damascus regime, which is against Kurdish self-rule.

Syria's war has killed 360,00 people and displaced millions since it started in 2011 with the brutal repression of anti-government protests.

Agence France-Presse

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Other Latest News
Daesh defends final pocket of dying 'caliphate' in Syria
BAGHOUZ (Syria): Daesh group militants were defending the last pocket of their "caliphate" in Syria on Monday, as EU foreign ministers meet to discuss the crisis after US..
Shootout wounds bystanders near New Orleans tourism area
WASHINGTON: A gunbattle between police and a suspect on the edge of New Orleans' French Quarter tourism district left five bystanders wounded Sunday evening, police said...
Virus-infected bacteria can aid in fight against climate change
NEW YORK: Viruses do not always kill their microbial hosts, say researchers who found that virus-infected bacteria could thus provide help in the fight against climate ch..
Trade war boogeyman hangs over giant US toy show
NEW YORK: The US-China trade war has dealt a glancing blow to American toys, hitting putty and arts and crafts items, while sparing superhero action figures, toy cars and..
Abe mum on reports he nominated Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
TOKYO: Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his chief spokesman have declined to say if Abe nominated President Donald Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize. Abe noted whi..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright