Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 7 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Fresh evidence reiterates MH370’s likely location
April 21, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

CANBERRA: Fresh evidence confirms that the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is most likely located to the north of the actual search zone, Australian scientists said on Friday.

The evidence was featured in a report prepared for the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) by the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) scientists

The new area is twice the size of greater Sydney, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation news reported.

This latest research confirms their earlier drift analysis made in a report released in November 2016.

In their new report, the CSIRO team confirmed their new findings correspond to their previous predictions for the plane’s location.

“The only thing that our recent work changes is our confidence in the accuracy of the estimated location, which is within the new search area identified ... near 35 degrees south,” the scientists said.

It is a region known as the Seventh Arc, which was searched incompletely during 2014-15 before efforts were redirected further south.

A total of 239 people were on board the flight travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, when it disappeared from aviation radars.

The search for the Boeing 777 was suspended in January, reports the Australian Broadcasting Corporation news.

Ministers from Malaysia, Australia and China agreed that there needed to be “credible new evidence” if the operation was to continue.

About 120,000 sq.km of the ocean bed have been searched to no avail, despite the more than $180 million cost of the operation.

Since the CSIRO’s November report, the scientists conducted further detailed analysis based on the first tangible evidence of the crash - a part of the wing known as a flaperon - which washed up at La Reunion Island in 2015.

Indo-Asian News Service

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Other Latest News
At least 24 dead in Nicaragua protests, says rights group
MANAGUA: Days of clashes between protesters and security forces in Nicaragua have killed at least 24 people, a rights group said on Sunday, as looting also gripped parts ..
‘No body will go to vote anymore,’ say mourners
KABUL: Afghan shopkeeper Ali Rasuli was standing at the end of a long queue of people waiting to pick up their national ID certificates on Sunday when a fireball erupted ..
A Syrian dancer's journey from hell to the Paris stage
PARIS: Yara al-Hasbani was putting the finishing touches to her make-up for a performance of "Romeo and Juliet" in Damascus when she found out her father had been torture..
The Founder’s Memorial officially opens to the public
ABU DHABI: The Founder’s Memorial, a permanent national tribute commemorating the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, welcomed members of the public for the first tim..
28 children become young engineers at Sharjah Festival
SHARJAH: A group of 28 children were given the opportunity to become young engineers during a workshop on the third day of the Sharjah Children’s Reading Festival, which ..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright