Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 4 Days, 1 hour, 28 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Explosion damages police station in Benghazi
April 28, 2013
 Print    Send to Friend

TRIPOLI: An explosion hit a police station in Libya’s eastern city of Benghazi on Saturday, causing extensive damage but no casualties, a security source said.

It came a day after militants killed a pro-government militiaman in an attack further to the east, in the latest violence to hit the country since the government launched a crackdown on armed groups.

The explosion at Barka police station came early in the morning, destroying the facade but leaving no causalities, the officials said.

“The explosion damaged a large part of the building. An explosive device was probably thrown,” the source said on condition of anonymity.

“Fortunately, the officers and police were in another part of the building. That is why there are no injuries.” A policeman at the scene said he was among officers who fled the building after the blast, and that there were no apparent casualties.

An AFP photographer at the site said the explosion could be heard at 7:00am and that it destroyed more than half of the police station.

It was the second bombing at the site this year.

The attacks, announced by officials, came less than a week after a car bomb exploded outside the French Embassy in Tripoli, wounding three people and partially setting the building on fire.

The bombing was the worst attack on a diplomatic mission in the North African country since the US ambassador was killed last year.

No group claimed responsibility for the weekend violence, which adds to pressure on Libya’s new leaders to rein in the lawlessness that has gripped the country since 2011, when rebels ousted Muammar Qadhafi in a civil war and then refused to lay down their arms.

Benghazi has witnessed a string of assassinations, with some 40 security and military officials killed by unknown assailants.

Western countries warned their nationals to evacuate, citing security threats, after January’s hostage crisis in Algeria that left at least 37 hostages and 29 militants dead.

Signs of infighting among militias themselves are also on the rise.

On Friday, a militiaman was killed when armed men attacked the headquarters of his pro-government group, Uqba ibn Nafi, in the eastern city of Darnah.

The area is largely controlled by radical Islamist militias, officials said.

One of Darnah’s most dangerous militia groups is Ansar Al Shariah, blamed for the attack on the US mission in Benghazi on Sept.11 which killed four Americans including the US Ambassador.

Agencies
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Heavy clashes in Libya claim 30 lives
TRIPOLI: Two days of clashes in south-eastern Libya between a local armed faction and Sudanese fighters have left more than 30 people dead, a local mayor said on Friday. ..
Fierce clashes in Libya town leave 14 dead
BENGHAZI: At least 14 people have been killed and 25 wounded during clashes in eastern Libya between armed groups loyal to official government and hardliner groups, two m..
At least 6 dead in bombing east of Libya capital
KHOMS: At least six civilians were killed and 14 wounded in a bomb attack on a Libyan security checkpoint on Tuesday near Khoms, east of the capital, a security official ..
Heavy fighting leaves 16 dead in Benghazi
BENGHAZI: At least 16 people have been killed in heavy fighting in the Libyan city of Benghazi between forces allied with the official government and Daesh fighters, a mi..
Death toll in Libya anti-peace deal rally rises
TRIPOLI: The death toll for the shelling of a rally in Libya’s second city Benghazi protesting against a UN-proposed peace deal has jumped to 12, medics said. At least..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright