ISLAMABAD: Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Kayani said a military operation was not required in Karachi even as the country’s interior minister said there was a terror threat in the country in the next three days of ongoing Muharram.
Speaking to a group of reporters on the sidelines of the D-8 conference, Kayani applauded the performance of the Rangers in maintaining security in the Karachi city.
Kayani, however, said the army was ready to provide security during Muharram, adding that the army had been deployed in sensitive areas across the country.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Thursday warned of terror threats for the next three days of Muharram while blaming some outside power for attempting to destabilise the country.
Malik told reporters that there was “an outside power” trying to destabilise Pakistan and three different terrorist groups wanted to destroy the country.
Meanwhile, Sindh police chief Fayyaz Leghari said an army operation should not be conducted in Karachi, adding that the capacity of the already present paramilitary forces in the city should be increased.
Addressing a press conference in Hyderabad, Leghari said that the army will not be called in during Muharram and they have only been asked to remain on standby.
While talking about the law and order situation in Karachi, Leghari said it was not sectarian problems but a third element that was involved in making the city unstable.
IG Sindh Leghari further claimed that 165 target killers and 12,000 terrorists have been arrested till now, adding that no members of political wings were among those arrested.