Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 5 hours, 32 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Australian military trapped in new sex scandal
June 14, 2013
 Print    Send to Friend

SYDNEY: The Australian military was embroiled in a new sex scandal on Thursday with 17 personnel, including officers, under investigation after hundreds of “explicit and repugnant” emails and images demeaning women were uncovered.

Army chief, Lieutenant-General David Morrison, said he was appalled at the revelations, which follow a government report last year detailing more than 1,000 claims of sexual or other abuse in the forces from the 1950s to the present day.

That report was sparked by the so-called Skype scandal in 2011, when footage of a young male recruit having sex with a female classmate was streamed online to cadets in another room without her knowledge.

“I’d say it’s worse than the Skype matter,” Morrison told a media conference, given the seniority of the staff involved.

“I view the allegations that are being made in the gravest light.”

He said they involve the alleged production and distribution of “highly inappropriate” material across both defence computer systems and the public Internet over the last three years.

Illicit drug use may also be involved.

Three people have been suspended so far and may face police charges, he said.

Another five could be suspended and nine more were under investigation.

A further 90 Australian Defence Force personnel are implicated in the email chain, Morrison added.

The highest-ranking officer was a lieutenant-colonel, with the remainder either majors, captains, warrant officers, sergeants or corporals.

Morrison declined to go into details of exactly what the material contained, but said “the matters both textural and imagery are demeaning, explicit and profane.”

He said he had spoken to some of the women involved and apologised.

“This goes to the heart of what I’ve said about systematic problems with culture inside the army and it in turn shapes the army and it in turn shapes the approach that I’m taking with regard to how we deal with this,” the army chief added.

Defence Minister Stephen Smith called the claims “despicable” and said he expected more victims would come forward.

“In my experience whenever there are public revelations or instances drawn to public attention of this ilk, then more people in the community will say publicly ...that they themselves have been the subject of abuse in the past,” he said.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Volcanic ash halts flights to Australian city
PERTH: Flights into and out of the northern Australian city of Darwin were cancelled on Saturday and some to Bali affected owing to huge ash clouds thrown up by an Indone..
Hijack scare as Australian takes cockpit for toilet
PERTH: An Australian passenger mistook the cockpit door for the toilet, triggering Friday’s hijack scare on a Virgin Australia flight from Brisbane to the Indonesian holi..
Thousands rally against shark cull in Australia
CANBERRA: Thousands of people rallied across Australia on Saturday against a controversial shark culling policy designed to prevent attacks, saying killing the marine ani..
Shark attack kills teenager in Australia
SYDNEY: A teenager died after being attacked by a shark in Australia on Saturday, police said, one week after a surfer was fatally mauled in the nation’s west. New Sou..
Australia merges blazes in wildfire battle
SYDNEY: Firefighters on Tuesday deliberately merged two major blazes in southeastern Australia in a desperate attempt to manage the advancing infernos ahead of weather co..
 
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright