Doctor takes out a baby crab from man’s ear in Abu Dhabi - GulfToday

Doctor takes out a baby crab from man’s ear in Abu Dhabi


The baby carb was removed by doctors in Abu Dhabi.

Gulf Today, Staff Reporter

A 38-year-old man still can’t believe that a baby crab had gone into his right ear and the sea creature was taken out alive through an endoscope assisted procedure. 

The man, identified as L.E, who is an expat living in Abu Dhabi, was on the beach on Monday (18 November 2019) when a crab went inside his right ear accidentally.

“I was on the beach when I suddenly realized that something went inside my ear. I couldn’t figure out what it was. All I could feel was that it was annoying. But never had I thought that it would be a crab,” he says.

The incident happened around 10 am in the morning. Though L.E and his friends tried to check what had gone inside the ear they failed. In an hour, the pain became severe, so he was rushed to Burjeel MHPC at Marina Mall, Abu Dhabi.

Upon medical examination, it was found that it was a live baby crab which had entered into the right ear canal.

Dr. Prabir Paul, Specialist Otolaryngology said by that time the patient’s ear canal had swelled up & the crab was tightly impacted inside the ear canal. It was imperative that the foreign body be urgently removed to avoid any further damage to his ear’s tympanic membrane and other ear structures. The sea creature was extracted out alive through an endoscope assisted procedure.

L.E, who was later sent home after observation, says he is really relieved. “I was very worried when the doctor told me that a baby crab had gone inside my ear. I was afraid that my organ would be damaged. But I am grateful to the doctor for his swift action. His confidence & kindness really helped to calm me down,” he added.

“There is always a chance of foreign objects entering into our body through ears, nose or mouth while bathing in the sea or even while relaxing on the beach .One should not try to remove these objects by themselves, instead should report urgently to the nearest medical facility. Any attempts to remove these foreign objects may cause various complications like bleeding and damage to the organs,” he added.

Related articles