Sudan PM Hamdok reinstated after coup but protests flare again - GulfToday

Sudan PM Hamdok reinstated after coup but protests flare again


Abdel Fattah Al Burhan (left) and Abdalla Hamdok pose with documents during a deal-signing ceremony in Khartoum on Sunday. AFP

Nearly a month after Sudan's top general ousted the prime minister, they signed a breakthrough deal on Sunday to reverse the military takeover that had sparked international condemnation and mass protests.

Anger still flared on the streets, however, where thousands rallied again and clashed with police, shouting "No to military power" and demanding that the armed forces fully withdraw from government.

Top General Abdel Fattah Al Burhan appeared at the presidential palace in Khartoum for a televised ceremony with a haggard looking premier Abdalla Hamdok, who had just been freed from weeks of house arrest.


Death toll of Sudan anti-coup protests rises to 40

Chinese star Peng Shuai appears at tennis event video of missing posted online

The 14-point deal they signed officially restores the transition to civilian rule that had been derailed by the October 25 putsch which threw the poverty-stricken northeast African country into renewed turmoil.

The agreement, which comes after crisis talks involving Sudanese and outside players, declared that Burhan's decision "to relieve the transitional prime minister (of his duties) is cancelled" and that all political detainees be freed.

It relaunched the fragile transition process toward full democracy that started after the 2019 ouster of veteran autocrat Omar Al Bashir.

Sudan-protest1-750x450Sudanese protest against the military takeover, which upended the country’s fragile transition to democracy, in Khartoum on Sunday. AP

A frail looking Hamdok praised the virtues of the people power "revolution" that brought him to government and declared the key priority was to "stop the bloodshed in Sudan before anything else".

Burhan thanked Hamdok for his service and vowed that "free and transparent elections" be held as part of the transitional process.

"He was patient with us until we reached this moment," Burhan said before posing for photos with the reinstated premier and his own deputy, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, head of the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces.

The United Nations welcomed the deal but also stressed the "need to protect the constitutional order to safeguard the basic freedoms of political action, freedom of speech and peaceful assembly."

Outside the palace, and in other cities, thousands again rallied, met in the capital by security forces who fired teargas -- the latest of a series of protests that, medics say, have claimed 40 lives.

Sudan-protest2-750x450Sudanese protest against the military takeover in Khartoum on Sunday. AP

Police deny firing live ammunition and insist they have used "minimum force" to disperse the protests. They have recorded only one death among demonstrators, in North Khartoum.

The main civilian bloc which spearheaded the anti-Bashir protests and signed a 2019 power-sharing deal with the military rejected Sunday's agreement.

"We affirm our clear and previously declared position that there is no negotiation, no partnership, no legitimacy for the coup," said the mainstream faction of the Forces for Freedom and Change.

"We do not want a partnership with the military," said Mohamed Farouk, a protester in North Khartoum.

"We want a complete civilian state, for the army to return to its barracks, and to hold accountable those who killed protesters since the coup."

Thousands also rallied in Khartoum's twin city Omdurman, as well as in the eastern state of Kassala, the restive eastern coastal city of Port Sudan and the northern city of Atbara, according to witnesses.

At one North Khartoum rally, protesters also chanted anti-Hamdok slogans and ripped up his portrait.

Agence France-Presse

Related articles