Picture used for illustrative purposes only.
A fire in a 20-storey building killed at least 6 people and injured 23 others on Saturday in Mumbai, India’s financial and entertainment capital, officials said.
The fire was noticed at the top part of the 20-storied Kamla Building at around 7.30am.
The fire was caused by a short-circuit in an air conditioner in one of the apartments, Mayor Kishori Pednekar said.
The Mumbai Fire Brigade (MFB) rushed with fire tenders as the flames quickly spread to the two upper floors sparking panic among the building residents.
At least 13 injured persons were rescued by the MFB teams, of which four were critical and rushed to the BYL Nair Hospital nearby.
Residents said the fire started on the 15th floor and a big column of black smoke soon enveloped the building. More than 90 people escaped the building on their own or helped by neighbors, they said.
Nearly two dozen fire engines extinguished the blaze and controlled the smoke after a two-hour effort, media reports said. Firefighters rushed the injured to two nearby hospitals.
Pednekar said some of the injured needed oxygen support because they had inhaled the smoke.
Fires are common in India, where building laws and safety norms are often flouted by builders and residents.
In August, a fire killed eight coronavirus patients at a hospital in Ahmedabad, a major city in Gujarat state. In December 2018, a late-night fire in a Mumbai restaurant killed 15 people.
The fire broke out due to a chemical reactor leaking monomethyl nitric acid — used for manufacturing several types of polymers — which caused an explosion on Wednesday night, Police Officer Rahul Dev Sharma said.
The deaths occurred early on Wednesday when the temple chariot procession was underway in Thanjavur district, 340 kilometres (210 miles) south of Chennai, the state capital, police said.
South Korean media published photos they said were received from witnesses that showed smoke emerging from the building and emergency workers in protective gear engaging in rescue efforts.
The report said young villagers from Myanmar were being flown to its Delhi hospital and enticed to sell their kidneys to rich Burmese patients. Apollo Hospitals did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.
The fire started at a furniture store and quickly engulfed other shops on the ground floor of the building known as Ayesha Manzil, said Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab. He said firefighters doused the flames after hectic efforts.
The National Centre of Meteorology (NCM) has warned of fog formation that will affect the horizontal visibility, advising road users and motorists to exercise caution and abide by traffic instructions.
The PTI chief appealed last year in the IHC against the ECP finding that he had unlawfully sold state gifts. However, in January, Imran sought to withdraw that appeal so that another appeal at the Lahore High Court could proceed.