Fire, clash at nightclub kill 19 in Indonesia - GulfToday

Fire, clash at nightclub kill 19 in Indonesia


A woman carry her belonging walks near a torched nightclub in Sorong, West Papua province, Indonesia. AP

Gulf Today Report

At least 19 people were killed during clashes between two groups at a club in the town of Sorong in Indonesia's West Papua province, police said on Tuesday, with most dying after the night spot caught fire in the violence.

One of the dead was a member of the groups that clashed Monday night at the club in Sorong city and 18 bodies were found after the fire, Adam Erwindi, spokesperson of West Papua Police, said on Metro TV.


Pakistani TV journalist shot dead outside Lahore Press Club

Oxford High School reopening nearly 2 months after shooting

Police are still investigating what caused the clash and whether the fire was set or was accidental.

Police stand guard outside Double O nightclub in Sorong, Indonesia, on Tuesday. AFP

"The clash broke out last night (Monday) at 11pm. It was a prolonged conflict from a clash on Saturday," Sorong police chief Ary Nyoto Setiawan said in a statement.

One victim was stabbed and 17 more died in the blaze at the "Double O" nightclub, officials said.

"We found 17 bodies in Double O, they were all found on the second floor. We have evacuated the bodies to Selebe Solu Hospital," said Sorong Police's health division head Edward Panjaitan.

Police were investigating the cause of the fire.

Police stand guard near a nightclub in Sorong in Indonesia's West Papua province on Tuesday. AFP

"The club was burnt from the first floor. We tried to evacuate as many people as possible, but after the firefighters extinguished the fire this morning, we found some bodies there," police chief Setiawan said.

TV images from local media showed a building blackened by the fire behind a police line and burnt cars.

Erwindi added that along with the investigation, police officers were meeting the main figures of the two groups to make for more conducive conditions. Police and Indonesian military officers were in control in the area.


Related articles