Armenia denied carrying out an attack. On Facebook Armenian defence ministry spokeswoman Shushan Stepanyan said that “the statement of the ministry of defence of Azerbaijan that the Armed Forces of Armenia allegedly hit the town of Barda with Smerch is groundless and false.”
Azerbaijan and ethnic Armenian forces clashed in several areas of Nagorno-Karabakh on Friday, hours before talks were due to start in Washington to try to end the deadliest fighting in the mountain enclave for over a quarter of a century.
Armenia’s foreign ministry said on Friday it was ready to engage with the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) to re-establish a ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh, where fighting has been raging since Sunday.
"I am resigning from my post as prime minister today" to hold the vote, he said in an announcement broadcast on his Facebook page, adding that he would "continue to fulfil all the duties of the prime minister".
It is so unfortunate that the world is going towards more deadly wars as both the parties, Azerbaijan and Armenia, didn’t respect the Moscow cease-fire agreement.
Armenia's defence ministry said Azerbaijani forces were "shelling Armenian villages with mortars and howitzers," while the defence ministry in Baku said clashes were ongoing near the border after "Armenians shelled Azerbaijani villages with large-calibre weapons."
At least 16 military members and several civilians were killed on Sunday in the heaviest clashes between Armenia and Azerbaijan since 2016, reigniting concern about stability in the South Caucasus, a corridor for pipelines carrying oil and gas to world markets.
Fighting has continued overnight between Azerbaijan and its ethnic Armenian mountain enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh, the Azeri defence ministry said on Tuesday, in the fiercest round of the decades-old conflict in more than a quarter of a century.
Azerbaijan's defence ministry denied the claim that its helicopters and tanks had been hit.